• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Sprinklers.

H

Cyburbian
What do you guys think of lawn sprinklers? South Florida is currently in a drought and many lawns are dieing. Yesterday I was jogging around the neighborhood and some lawns were dead, like the one by my building. Others had sprinklers going. One was even missing the lawn and watering the street. I am in a dense area so the lawns are small, but when multiple people do this, it is a lot of wasted water (to me). I think if it is meant to grow, it will grow, it dies, it wasn’t meant to grow. How does this fare you the board? Are sprinkles friend or foe to our communities?

Tom R

Cyburbian
foe

A waste of a natural resource and public expenditures to obtain, treat and transport it.
Personally, I don't give my little lawn and encouragement to grow.

I'm torn about this. Generally, I'm not a fan of sprinklers, I think they can be very wasteful, especially the jackasses who water at 2 in the afternoon. However, I also live on a sand dune, and if we didn't sprinkle in the summer, our grass would be completely burnt out by the end of June in our part of town.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Its a waste generally. It varies based on what part of the country you're in. Seeing a neighborhood full of lush lawns in the arid west is a massive waste of a natural resource. I often see large suburban offices watering in the rain.

Somehow this has been a priority for us as a country. But no one has settled on a cultrally acceptable/fashionable way to fill in the mandated 25' front setback (other than a mini-forest in front of every house). All the pesticides are another issue. Like most people, I have to use sprinklers in moderation so I'm not the guy on the block who doesn't take care of his property.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Waste, in NC with the water shortage of the last few years watering your lawn became a huge no no with steep fines. Folks went to the effort of having their own wells dug to just water their lawns.

There is grass that is suited to dryer weather etc folks need to start planting that or accepting they will have brown yards some times.

Loose the sprinklers-save the water

H

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
...to fill in the mandated 25' front setback...
Good point, so what is the positive for the setback again? I seem to always forget.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
One word: xeriscape.

Our little suburban plot lives or dies according to the weather, and so do most of our neighbors', but then we aren't the most domesticated of people. A nice green lawn does look good, but there are, as has been said before, better ways of doing it. Anyway, what's wrong with pea gravel, bowling balls, and flamingos?

BKM

Cyburbian
California-sprinklers are "necessary" if you want to continue pretending that you live in southern England (which is the home of the lawn).

Of course, given that it doesn't rain here for 6-months, even xeriscape will be pretty limited during the summer.

Still, it does seem to be a waste to maintain a lawn in this climate. Thanks you, federal taxpayers!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm with Seabishop on this. Your landscaping should reflect the part of the country (world) you live in, and the availability of fresh water. My savanna and prairie does just fine with no extra water. I do water the gardens, but that is all. If the lawn is brown, so what?

If you live in the desert, you should not have a lawn. If you live in Florida, grow grasses native to the place, instead of the kentucky bluegrass you used to have when you lived in Ohio. Both Florida and the southwest are faced with severe water supply issues that will only get worse with time. They need to be addressed now by, in part, not wasting water on unsustainable grass.

donk

Cyburbian
Seabishop answered
To make it easy to widen the road into 4 lanes - duh!
That is my actual response to this question, in some neighbourhoods.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
The 25' setback also gives you more room for gnomes, little Dutch boys, wooden cut-outs of people bending over, plastic deer, and the ever-popular tire planters.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Plannerbabs said:
The 25' setback also gives you more room for gnomes, little Dutch boys, wooden cut-outs of people bending over, plastic deer, and the ever-popular tire planters.
...and inoperable vehicles, RVs, yardsales, dumpsters, etc.

BKM

Cyburbian
And, don't forget the little, oh-so-politically-correct lawn jockeys :(

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It is Waste.

Luckily, I am not saddled with the inherited shame some people have concerning maintainence of their grass lawns. My Dad despises mowing and racking lawns.

Check out this for alternatives to mono-culture lawns
nice yards

H

Cyburbian
gkmo62u said:
So nobody here in cyburbia has ever watered their lawn?
I have a feeling you do :)

I dont have a lawn, live in a multi-family condo. There is a courtyard, but it is not watered, just trees, benches, bricks and such. There is a pool, but I dont considered that a waste as much because it is recreational and almost 'needed' in HOT muggy Florida.

donk

Cyburbian
I watered when i seeded (3 years ago), but not since then. i have the greenest lawn in my neighbourhood, dandelions and "cinch" grass don't need water. Probably helps that I don't drive my travel trailer or 4 wheeler over it either.

Having to pay for water ($40/quarter) makes me pretty cheap on using it for other then essentials.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
If you're looking for ideas on dealing with drought/water shortages, you might take a look at El Paso and San Antonio. Several cities in the southwest states have good examples of water conservation practices. San Antonio bases the drought conditions on the well elevation for the Edwards Aquifer. It has three stages of drought. Each stage gets more restrictive on lawn watering. If I remember right, Stage 1 allows watering twice a week, Stage 2 once a week, Stage 3 none at all. San Antonio also restricts lawn watering to early morning/late evening so the watering is more efficient. Also, I think San Antonio does tax breaks for people installing a xeriscape or native/wildscape.

Tom R

Cyburbian
water

I've watered my vegetable garden when I planted and in the past when things got too dry. This year in Ohio I could have canoed down my street a number of times. I like the idea in a few arid communities that they install two water lines, one potable and one with treated sewage for lawn sprinkling. Some places have proposed "recycling" water by treating sewage to meet drinking water standards but I'm not aware of any place where its done. The public outcry has been too great. But a lot of people who get their water from rivers don't realize that a large portion of the flow is ofter treated sewage, especially during drought conditions.

H

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I water when I pee off the deck after consuming beer.
ahh yes, in college we called that the mississippi sprinkler system :)

Funny side note: I had a friend who claimed he would never live anywhere that he could not pee out of his back door. Now that is a quality of life standard! ;)

Richmond Jake

Huston said:
ahh yes, in college we called that the mississippi sprinkler system :)
How many does it take you before you need to relieve yourself? Me, normally 2-1/2 bottles

H

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
How many does it take you before you need to relieve yourself? Me, normally 2-1/2 bottles
That could be fun game. See how many before going. First on to go loses!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
The only yard Ive watered was a new house and we were trying to prevent erosion-native grasses etc with some lime and the other good stuff to help it get started. After that It was on its own.

No yard nut here

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We do. Don't have a sprinkler system, but a few strategically placed sprinklers work well.

Up north at my parents house they have are limited to watering their lawn (or washing cars, etc). like everyother day. Something to do with if your address is odd or even.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Huston said:
Funny side note: I had a friend who claimed he would never live anywhere that he could not pee out of his back door. Now that is a quality of life standard! ;)
lol! My brother-in-law has the same standard. He and my sister currently have a house in town but are looking to move back to the country beacuse he's, "Tired of not being able to pee off the deck when he wants." Now that's a quality of life standard that I sometimes miss now that I'm living in a row house.

Not that we're a bunch of rednecks or anything. ;)

Richmond Jake

Huston said:
That could be fun game. See how many before going. First on to go loses!
I wouldn't dare put that type of pressure on my bladder just to win a contest. And since tomorrow is Saturday, I expect to have the whole yard watered by late afternoon.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
This spring my burning leaf pile got out of control... er, rather, I decided to thin out the pines and seed some grass to hide the evidence of a recent fire. I used a 100% native perennial rye from Farm & Fleet, which filled in nicely with very few weeds and is still green despite not being watered. On the other hand, the "blend" used on the old lawn is a nice tan color, except for the weeds.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
nice yards
Some of them are nice, but I wouldn't want something high maintenance and my soil sucks. I already had to pull out a couple of 2 year old shrubs - the poor things looked like they were set on fire.

ps. the picture of the "before" with the kid playing baseball, and the "after" where he's been displaced by a pond is funny.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Some of them are nice, but I wouldn't want something high maintenance and my soil sucks. I already had to pull out a couple of 2 year old shrubs - the poor things looked like they were set on fire.
Um, I wouldn't know what a shrub that had been lit on fire looks like, despite all the rumors you may have heard.

There are plants that grow in just about any soil. As far as maintenance goes, I spend about two hours on my wildflower prairie every year. It takes me two hours to mow my lawn every time I do it. The other gardens need weeding about twice a year, though mulching in spring can sometimes cut that back to once. As the plants fill in, it makes it more difficult for the weeds to grow, so over time the maintenance becomes less intensive.

H

Cyburbian
mendelman said:

nice yards
I like the rock garden one, great for a small yard. A little weed pulling from time to time and thats it! low maintenance and good looking. that is my winner.

for the big lawns, i vote for the au natural ;)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I have a sprinkler system installed on my front yard, but I only have to use it for about 2 months a year, and only for 10-15 mins a day at night. The other 10 months the yard lives perfectly due to the abundant rainfall. (2000 mm/year ~ 6 ft)