• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

ST. LOUIS: Fresh Views

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Great photos. My favorite is #6, with that narrow 15-story building dwarfed by the much wider and taller building behind it. Where were you shooting from? I've shot pictures from in the Arch before, but these don't look like shots from the Arch. Were you in a helicopter? Or is there an observation deck in one of the other buildings?

JivecitySTL

Cyburbian
Some of these were taken from the roof of the Mayfair Hotel, some were taken from parking garages, some were taken from the roofs of other buildings downtown. Glad you like the pics...

BKM

Cyburbian
Fantastic art deco skyscrapers. You should post them on the www.urbanphoto.net discussion board, too.

I really liked Saint Louis. The red brick architecture, the scale of the housing, even the suburbs were more interesting somehow than Kansas City, as pleasant and "well-planned" as the latter city is.

My only question: when were these taken? There doesn't seem to be ANY traffic, let alone people on the street. I can understand that if it was a Sunday morning, but...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
JivecitySTL,

What is the name of the building at the far left center of the second picture? The one with the colonnade around the top.

I found an old picture of that building one time on the web, and I think it is an amazing design.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The images look quite fake-ish... Kindda like CG urban photos... but mabye it's because of the little amount of people and cars around and because of the saturation of colors and lighting.

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
JivecitySTL,

What is the name of the building at the far left center of the second picture? The one with the colonnade around the top.

I found an old picture of that building one time on the web, and I think it is an amazing design.

That is the Civil Courts building an alphabet remedy project from the mid 30's, it sits in the center of the flawed but promising Gateway Mall.

It is impressive, well lit at night and currently undergoing a painstaking slow rehab. The big griffens on top are about 12' tall