• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

St Patrick's Day

Plans for St. Patrick's Day

• Can't wait for the bar to open to drink green beer, eat corned beef hash and cabbage

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Nothing special

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • The ever popular other that I will explain below.

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

donk

Cyburbian
So what is everyone doing for St. Patrick's Day?

Here, the Irish capital of Canada, if you need anything done, better have it done before 10:00am or it is not getting done.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
no big plans-i had to hunt to find some green to wear. well i take that back i have many emeralds but not much green shirts etc that are work suitable

oh well found one and thats the extent of my holiday fun.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Wow - I actually wore some green today and didn't even plan it. I'm going out with some friends for cocktails after work. There is nothing big planned here at all, but it at least gives us a reason to drink (like we need one).

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I refuse to wear green just 'cause it's St. Paddy's day. Not my thing.

We're babysitting for my brother tonight, so no green beer for me!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
We went out with my brother and his girlfriend Saturday night, and I had my share of Guinness to celebrate. Last night had the corned beef and cabbage....so I guess we jumped the gun a bit. :)

My daughter and I are wearing green today (I heard abouth nothing but catching a leprechaun from her all weekend!), don't know what Mary Poppins will be wearing today....she was still in bed when I left for work. :)

We threw a small dinner party on Saturday night - irish stew, irish colcannon, soda bread and green deviled eggs. no green beer, but i did offer bass.

like PG - i hunted for something green to wear today, but the only thing i could come up with were christmas socks that have trees on them. so that's it. nothing big tonight. i think we're taking the dogs for a walk, since we're having an insane bout of nice weather.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Slanthe Is Saul Agat

Slanthe Is Saul Agat (slawn-chess is sawl a-gat) = Health and Life To You!
An old Irish Blessing.

Happy St. Pat's Day?

Now, if someone can just lead the snakes out of my office . . .

Jeff

Cyburbian
Did my St Pattying yesterday. Wore green in the 1/2 Marathon I ran, and then went to the FD union hall after the parade downtown.

Today I'm just gonna blast my FDNY Pipes and Drums CDs all day.

Last edited:

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Around here, this is "amateur day". I want to avoid bars and be off the road by 5PM.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Got up early and went to Paddy's Irish Pub here in Milwaukee for some Irish Breakfast. The Irish east some strange stuff. You wouldn't believe the number of people that were pounding Guinness at 6:30am.

This evening I am not sure what I am up to. I have a friend who shares his birthday with St. Patricks day, so I will probably meet him out somewhere.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
One of the bars at school opened up at 6am with FIVE CENT pitchers. It went up about ten cents an hour, but stopped at like $2 a pitcher. As a GA I taught earth science classes and it was crazy how many people had green mouths.

Of course, I was there after classes! The line was crazy long and it was packed, but it was lots of fun. Have some *interesting* memories ;)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Drinking a bit of Guiness tonight, making corned beef hash for dinner, with potatoes of course.. other than that, I forgot to wear green, but my eyes are greenish, so I'm covered.

James has a button- "World's Tallest Leprechaun", hee.
:B

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There's actually a speed dating event that I'm attending tonight. I think it's just a matter of coincidence that it'll be taking place at an Irish bar in downtown KC.

I have changed my avatar, though, in celebration of the Irish spirit. Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bas in Eirinn!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hmm not many Irish settled down here... so no special St. Patrick stuff here... :(
But we do have lots of German influence... so we have Bierfests and fun stuff like that :D

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
...don't know what Mary Poppins will be wearing today....she was still in bed when I left for work. :)
Just talked to my wife....she's wearing red today...guess she had enough irish stuff for one weekend.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The college kids were drinking at 7:30 this morning. I think they have used the day as an excuse to drink straight through from last Thursday. I ran into a couple of drunk ones trying to buy donuts and alchohol at 8:00 Sunday morning. State law does not permits its sale before (I think) eleven on Sunday, so they went away PO'd.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
In my college days, St. Patrick's Day was an excuse to get hammered.

But now? Gosh, I forgot all about it. I'm wearing blue to work today.

JNL

Cyburbian
I went out with some friends last night (it's already Tues a.m. here) and had my first pint of Guinness! I actually quite liked it. Followed by Baileys on ice - yum!

We had a competition to see who could wear the most green things - I think I won with green flowers in my hair, green eyeshadow, green earrings, a green top, 2 green bracelets, and a green hairclip. A male coworker showed up in a green retro suit!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
JNL said:
I went out with some friends last night (it's already Tues a.m. here) and had my first pint of Guinness!

Welcome to real beer my friend.

JNL

Cyburbian
giff57 said:

Welcome to real beer my friend.
I quite liked it! My girl friends were pulling faces and complaining of feeling bloated but I found it quite refreshing, with no aftertaste. Maybe it's the Irish blood in me (1/16th or something).

The Irish One

Happy St. Patricks Day

With sandals on, I walked through the frigid stream. All the hills were freshly lit green from the weekend rains, the sky was clear blue -pocked with low puffy white clouds, the breeze was strong and cool. The sun shone on my face with a sweet and gentle warmth that I won't forget too soon. Giving thanks to the One, whom St Patrick professed would guide my ancestors souls, I am blessed with humility, a humility that calls from the needs of those less fortunate. Returning from the hike, I went to work and shared good deeds with coworkers and those that I am so honored to work and serve for.

Happy St. Patricks Day