• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

staff morale

Floridays

Cyburbian
Just a minor "rant..." lately, morale has been VERY LOW in my office. We've had a change in directorship, and a new ordinance has quadrupled everyone's workoad. As a result, there is a lot of petty arguing going between all levels of staff. Normally, it's a very peaceful existence around here.
If you've experienced this situation before, what (if anything) has been done to correct it? Or am I just living in fantasyland, thinking it will be resolved?
I'm leaving work everyday with a headache and ready to go to bed by 6:00 :-0

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I experienced a situation like this where an ordinance was passed that increased staff workload. But it's like trying to unring a bell to correct it. There was no political will to reverse the decision. I finally left the orginization for work elsewhere.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My former employer just went through that:

Staff reductions
Budget reductions
No raises for staff
Higher health insurance contributions
Longer Workdays
Politicians bad-mouthing staff openly

The smart ones realized they could do better and left (and they have done better).

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
At my last job the petty arguing got pretty bad. The boss called a meeting and made some lame speech about the staff being the five fingers of the glove... yatta yatta.

People quit arguing and were talking about how lame the five finger thing was.... What a brilliant plan.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Chet said:
My former employer just went through that:

Staff reductions
Budget reductions
No raises for staff
Higher health insurance contributions
Longer Workdays
Politicians bad-mouthing staff openly

The smart ones realized they could do better and left (and they have done better).
Scary, scary, scary similarities to my current situation. I want to walk soooo badly, but my salary carries the load and I provide the health care insurance. Mrs. G has to get full-time with bennies somewhere and soon!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, that is the exact way my old job was… I now live in SW Michigan and things are much better (other than a head set for 10 hours a week. I have been there, but I don’t have the solution to solve it. Maybe use this as a time to shine. While others are arguing over stupid things, set up, crank out the work, and provide the rest of the staff with positive outlook and motivation.

[joking] Set the bar for others! Or hit them with it… [joking]

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Our organization has been engaged in many internal disputes, within management, between management and clerical staff, and within departments. Some of you may know of my struggles with an employee. It is taking forever, but the end to that problem may be in sight. Stress? Oh, yeah. I find those in the organization I can trust, who can empathize with me, or can offer some relief from the problem. Hopefully, things get better.