• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Stamp dork chat

jmf

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Its sounds like fun but I don't think it will be much of a Secret Santa if you recieve a parcel covered in Kangaroo stamps.;)
oooh! oooh! oooh! [raising hand like a first grader] pick me! pick me! I would love to get a package with kangaroo stamps - but could you make it rugby stamps????

I'm in! As long as I can request that my secret santa use postage stamps not a meter.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The Kangaroo stamps are a myth!

In reality, REM's package will probably be covered in Sydney Funnel Web spider, Millennium Train and Paul Hogan stamps.

jmf

Cyburbian
Dan said:
The Kangaroo stamps are a myth!

In reality, REM's package will probably be covered in Sydney Funnel Web spider, Millennium Train and Paul Hogan stamps.
But I like these ones:

or these:

Heck, anything is better than:

nerudite

Cyburbian
jmf said:

Heck, anything is better than:
Hey... Canada has those new round astronaut stamps that were pretty groovy. Plus, I never even knew that there were astronauts up here. Too bad the stamps take up half of an envelope.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Planderella said:
Once the price range is set, I suggest that the gifts have some sort of unique or local flavor from the Secret Santa's hometown.......something that the recipient can't get from just anywhere. Santa is only a secret until you receive the gift anyway, right?
So that leaves out going to Wal*Mart and picking some good stuff up, right?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The US may have ugly paper money, but we've got the coolest stamps in the world, IMHO.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Yeah... US stamps are cool (boy has this gone off topic or what?) But... I wanted to share the stamp of my great-great aunt...

jmf

Cyburbian
Wow, I can't believe I started a discussion, albeit off-topic, on stamps! There is this guy Czeslaw Slania who has engraved over 1000 stamps for various countries - some of his are my favorites:

and many more

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
American running dog coward capitalists bow down to the powerful stamps of the Great Leader!

biscuit

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
can we add the rule that the gift has to be sent with cool stamps?

And side note i donno what something thinks I can pick up for them for 10 bucks in DC that is horribly tacky. DC and other metro areas are costly 10 bucks does not go far.
That's fine. It's the thought that counts I suppose. Besides, there's nothing wrong wih a little house tack....I'm sending whomever I get a Dale Earndhart calander. ;-)

How about we set the base but you can spend anyting you want to above that.

Oh, and the idea of gifts with regional flavor sounds great.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hey... not all stamps are dorky... on December 1st St. Vincent and the Grenadines issued Playboy Cover stamps for its 50th Anniversary.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
looking at these stamps, especially the u.s. ones, I noticed quite a variety of postage values. I can just remember there being a big fuss when it went from 25 to 27 cents. Now it seems like they raise it every year. Thieving postal service. (sorry federal government).

jmf

Cyburbian
It is interesting to see the changes in postal rates. One thing that has fascinated me recently is the time it used to take for letters to get to the destination.

A friend has an old envelope (circa turn of the previous century) which was mailed in a small town in Cape Breton on one day and it arrived in Boston late the next day. Granted the timing was just right combining land, railway and sea routes. Still pretty amazing.

In England they had twice a day mail delivery for a long time. People had conversations in letters - exchanging four letters a day!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
jmf said:
In England they had twice a day mail delivery for a long time. People had conversations in letters - exchanging four letters a day!
As far as I know, some of my relatives still get twice daily mail, and one delivery on Saturday.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
As far as I know, some of my relatives still get twice daily mail, and one delivery on Saturday.
We get Saturday delivery in the States. I still check my mail up here on Saturdays out of habit. Originally it really drove me nuts that we didn't get Saturday mail up here... but I'm getting used it now.