• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Star Wars Kid

Star Wars Kid

• Yes he should sue the jedi robes off of them!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No he should just play jedi mind tricks on them

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • WTF this country is going to hell #1

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
News on the radio this morning : The Star Wars Kid is filing suit against his friends in the amount of $225,000 for the pain and suffering he has experienced as a result of them plastering his video on the web.

What do you think?

My thoughts: You earned it buddy.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Pain and suffering for a teenager? Gee... that's worthy of a lawsuit. We have all been targeted at some point as teenagers... it's freakin' normal to not like your friends and play tricks on each other from time to time. Jeez. Whiny whipper-snappers! ;)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Some bloggers raised enough money to get an I-pod for the kid, so he and his parents should shut up. Pain and suffering? When will people learn that humiliation is part of life? Don't want a video of you acting like a Jedi? Don't make the video in the first place and if you feel that you must make a video, don't show it to your friends.

I fear that we are raising a new generation of wimps and sissies. Your feelings get hurt, sue the people that hurt them. You have to share class valedictorian honors sue the school.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
My god, I was crying I laughed so hard......no doubt, the kid deserves any ridicule he got!

H

Cyburbian
That is sad, sueing your friends for playing a joke on you. He did it, he recorded it. Now he must let the world laugh.

HAHAHHAHAHAHA.....

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Give it up for the pride of Quebec City!!!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20030728/ESTAR28//?query=jedi

While I agree that the kid set up his own downfall, the article above does make an interesting point about the effect the internet has on events like this - instead of just half the school seeing his goofiness, half the world does.

I say, nix the lawsuit - but nail the dweebs who distributed the video. Apparently they even schemed to hijack the donations being raised for the kid (who the hell would donate to this anyway?).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I think he might be going about this all wrong. Instead of ending up in therapy, this kid should have become American, and exploited his 15 minutes of fame for all it is worth! Hell, he could have made 10-15k for appearing at GenCon alone!

I had to answer the phone while i was watching it and could barely contain my chortling. The lawsuit is ridiculous - if he was embarrassed by the tape, he should have erased it to begin with.

edit - however, i did just remember the "video" i made in 7th grade of me dancing to Madonna's "Lucky Star", with full 80's hair, makeup and outfit, and can only imagine how much I would sue my brother for if he ever put it on the internet. :)

H

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I say, nix the lawsuit - but nail the dweebs who distributed the video. Apparently they even schemed to hijack the donations being raised for the kid (who the hell would donate to this anyway?).
OMG, the South Park Cartoon Kids did this! :)

The Power of TV....

Downtown said:
edit - however, i did just remember the "video" i made in 7th grade of me dancing to Madonna's "Lucky Star", with full 80's hair, makeup and outfit, and can only imagine how much I would sue my brother for if he ever put it on the internet. :)
Yeah, i just hope that video of me and Pam Anderson doesnt get out ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have a video of my friend Rich doing a Star Trek parody for a class project. It was horrible... but so freakin' funny. I watch it every few years for a good laugh. He's now a professoinal juggler/glass blower (yeah, interesting combo)... so it's not like I can use it against him. He acts goofy and gets people to a laugh at him for a living, so no fun in releasing the goods.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
OMG Downtown and Nerudite that reminds me somewhere I have a video done by a friend for a college film project - its a music video done to Alphaville's "Fallen Angel" and it stars my ex wife and a half dozen college friends.

Gotta dig that up and convert it to digital!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Yeah my parents have tons of tapes of my sister and I being goofy around the house. And then there's that home movie I made with those nice young ladies at the 1988 Democratic National Convention. Man would I be embarrassed if that ever got out.

Last edited:

SGB

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
All in favo(u)r of starting a legal defense fund for Downtown's brother, say "Aye!"

nerudite

Cyburbian
Chet said:
OMG Downtown and Nerudite that reminds me somewhere I have a video done by a friend for a college film project - its a music video done to Alphaville's "Fallen Angel" and it stars my ex wife and a half dozen college friends.

Gotta dig that up and convert it to digital!
Yeah, on that same tape I have three other classmates (I was one of the only people with a video camera in high school) that did a rendition of Kafka's Metamorphosis based on life in the barrio. I think Gregor's sister was a Mexican prostitute in this film. The audio is so bad that you can barely hear it, but there is the occasional reference to walking the street. For a bunch of teenagers, it's a pretty cool concept.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Downtown said:

I think all will agree with me that we would like to see that video. Please be kind and post.

donk

Cyburbian
I think the first people the kid should be suing is his parent's, naming a kid Ghyslain Raza, now that was cruel.

kms

Cyburbian
Look how many more people are watching the video, thanks to the lawsuit. Maybe he should sue his parents for added damages, since they called even more attention to the video.

It's too bad he can't laugh at himself and get on with life.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Maybe we should encourage this loser, er a, fan to channel his efforts to become a member of the US Olympic (copyrighted, trademark, blah, blah, blah) Fencing team.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
ROTFLMAO!!!!

Yet another proof to the theory that human stupidity has no limits... :)

I guess that if he's so smart to sue his friends, I'll also guess he was on the group that sued Mc Donald's ;)

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Repo Man said:
Some bloggers raised enough money to get an I-pod for the kid, so he and his parents should shut up. Pain and suffering? When will people learn that humiliation is part of life? Don't want a video of you acting like a Jedi? Don't make the video in the first place and if you feel that you must make a video, don't show it to your friends.

I fear that we are raising a new generation of wimps and sissies. Your feelings get hurt, sue the people that hurt them. You have to share class valedictorian honors sue the school.
You're referring to Blair Hornstine?

http://www.studentrewards.com/images/r-winners/blair.jpg

http://www.studentrewards.com/r-winners/discover.html

Last edited by a moderator:

prudence

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Heh heh, they should send him to this school
I read they have the best drama department in NYC, and the students are the best dressed, as well. Oh, it's the only school in the nation where you get class credit for "sauna and steam room." Curious.

donk

Cyburbian
You're referring to Blair Hornstine?
I love the charities she is involved with - prom dresses for the low income family, chinese babies with cleft palates.

The other line that is rich is that she was concerned about the cost of tuition, common her father's a judge.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
If they are able to get a lawsuit off the ground and fail, they could get bring the issue to the attention of George Lucas' legal team. I'm sure they have the resources to nail those kids somehow. As for the original kid on tape in the first place, he deserves all the teasing he gets.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Alan said:
You're referring to Blair Hornstine?[/url]
Yes indeed. I am glad that Harvard rescinded her acceptance. I guess it is a bad idea to plagerize a former US President. I can't believe someone would sue a school because they had to share valedictorian honors.

ecofem

Cyburbian
I don't know why I find watching that poor kid stumble around so damn funny.

My office-mates keep looking at me like I've lost it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The Force is weak in this one ... the Republic is doomed!

imagine you're a dorky, pear-shaped, socially inept geeky kid. Would you make a video of yourself swinging around a golf ball retriever like you're Darth Maul with his two-ended light sabre, knowing it's something you probably wouldn't want others to see, and leave the evidence in a place where someone can get a hold of it and put it online? Duh ... no. Darwin in action, folks.
Umm yeah actually, but I wasnt pear shaped. Now hand me that 20 sided die so I can try to kill the orc and save the elven maiden from the Tower of Inverness.

STOOPID MOD STOOPID MOD: I went to quote Dan and edited instead. I hope he repairs it and isnt too pissed. Chet

H

Cyburbian
Re: The Force is weak in this one ... the Republic is doomed!

Dan said:
...This kid, though, could have milked his fifteen minutes of fame for a lot. Imagine a cameo role in a ST movie, or guest appearances at cons. It would have paid for college, and made him the envy of the class. Nope...
but that would of broken his "bad idea" streak :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I bet the kid would never have thought that when doing that video he would have almost half a million web sites devoted to his stupid video (just search for star wars kid in google)
But not only that, also a Yahoo! Directory!!!!

Currently there are 40 remixes of the original video Click here to see them.

It is unbelieveable that in a matter of months (the thing started in May) the video has expanded quite a lot.

Hereby I conclude that stupidity is contagious. :)