• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Starting your own business

Does anyone have recommendations on books to read for starting your own business. Would prefer books that related somewhat to the field of planning, if any exist? Thanks.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
No good ones related directly to planning that I have found. Read Paul Hawken's book about growing a business. Don't start unless you and everyone you care about have explicitly discussed the uncertainty and are committed to it.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I suppose it depends on what kind of business you are looking at starting. Are you going into consulting? The APA bookstore has a couple of books on that topic. Are you planning to be a developer? I would recommend several ULI publications - their "handbook" series is very good. I am starting a small manufacturing business. I suppose it helps to have a background in economic development. I have found pretty much all I need online.