• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

State Funerals

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Did anyone see the services today for the late President?

I was able to catch bits and pieces of about two hours of streaming video here at work. I thought former Canadian PM Brian Mulroney was particularly excellent in his eulogy.

State funerals are remarkable events of pomp and circumstance. The caisson bearing the body; the riderless horse with boots backward in the saddle; the muffled drum cadence; the honor guard bearing the body up the steps of the West Front of the Capitol; the sun shining down upon the casket; the glorious national cathedral; the peeling of the bells; and, the report of the 21-gun salute.

Washington may do a lot of things screwy, but they get this right every time.

donk

Cyburbian
On Mulroney and Reagan, if I hear their rotten rendition of "When Irish Eyes are Smiling" from the Shamrock Summit one more time I am going to take a pencil and burst my ear drums.

The scarier thing is that I vaguely remember watching that gala on TV as a kid.

On a lighter note, how many times did Mulroney say "AHHHHH, AHHHH, AHHHH" in only the tone and way that he can? (Air farce reference)

I didn't see Reagan's funeral procession. I thought that Princess Diana's procession fit the bill of pomp and circumstance, but still a remarkable event (in a tragic way) as was her wedding.

A traditional New Orleans jazz funeral is a unique event that one would have to witness to fully appreciate it. The basic premise is that death (or homegoing) is more of a cause for celebration than that of mourning. The procession involves the casket being carried through the streets (generally in that person's neighborhood) accompanied by the family, friends, etc. and the brass band. After a few slow songs, the band kicks it up and then the second line/partying starts. :)

mgk920

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Did anyone see the services today for the late President?

I was able to catch bits and pieces of about two hours of streaming video here at work. I thought former Canadian PM Brian Mulroney was particularly excellent in his eulogy.

State funerals are remarkable events of pomp and circumstance. The caisson bearing the body; the riderless horse with boots backward in the saddle; the muffled drum cadence; the honor guard bearing the body up the steps of the West Front of the Capitol; the sun shining down upon the casket; the glorious national cathedral; the peeling of the bells; and, the report of the 21-gun salute.

Washington may do a lot of things screwy, but they get this right every time.
Had I been within a few hours' drive time of either Ventura County, CA or Washington, DC, I would have partaken in one of the public viewings.

I saw some of the proceedings on TV, heard the rest (including the procession to the Capitol on Constitution Av) on radio. After two days, the drum cadence is still the only sound going through my mind. Very profound.

The thing I most liked about Reagan is that he never licked his finger and held it up to see which way the wind was blowing on any particular day. He lead, never followed, and always kept a positive attitude.

Godspeed.

Mike

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I was sick as a dog all day, and slept through most of it. WhatI was awake for, I couldnt watch -- bright and loud TV make Chet nautious. :-#