• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

State of Michigan Upgrades to Hipper Muzak

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Seabishop said:
How do you people deal with all the hipness? :-D
It's trying sometimes attending all the book signings, having to wear diguises in airports and other public places. Many of us Michiganders have set up our own personal shrine web sites, others have been in contact with the networks about starting our own talk shows and yet others have signed contracts with various recording labels. It IS difficult but with the help of accountants, fan clubs, make up artists, good agents and publicists we muddle through the best we can....

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
As part of the Cool Cities Initiative, people calling state offices will now hear cool 50's - 60's tunes, rather than boring muzak. How do you people deal with all the hipness? :-D

If they were smart, the state would be able to save a LOT of money in paying for labor. If they were to start playing Goth/Industrial music, they would have to field far fewer calls, thus reducing the work load. Of course, it wouldn't stop me, or probably BKM :-D

It would definatly be more interesting to be put on hold! :)

BKM

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
If they were to start playing Goth/Industrial music, they would have to field far fewer calls, thus reducing the work load. Of course, it wouldn't stop me, or probably BKM :-D

It would definatly be more interesting to be put on hold! :)

Well, a little bit of My Dying Bride, Emperor or Satyricon would reduce those bothersome phone calls pretty quickly :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Seabishop said:
As part of the Cool Cities Initiative, people calling state offices will now hear cool 50's - 60's tunes, rather than boring muzak. How do you people deal with all the hipness? [/url]

At a city where I used to work, the phone system controls were located in a closet accessible from my office. The music-on-hold system was an AM/FM radio, connected through the earphone jack.

Occasionally, I'd switch the station, just for kicks. I've set the music-on-hold system to ...

* A ranchero/norteno/mariachi station
* A teenybopper Top 40 station
* The local mullet rock station

However, I didn't get in trouble until I turned it to NPR. Why? It's LIBERAL PROPAGANDA! The radio then went back and forth between a paleo-conservative AM talker, and NPR. Good times. Good times.

Might be interesting to have that same setup in Buffalo, where you can select a French language station, a station where the Hail Mary is recited endlessly, or the output from a scanner set to Cheektowaga volunteer fire department frequencies. "Hey, Kaz, is dat der Genny Cream der colt yet der?"

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You know... it might not be as crazy as you think. When my dad started up an Oldies station back in my hometown. It took a few weeks and most of the businesses had it on their hold systems, and it quickly became one of the most popular stations to hear at businesses, restaurants, and TV info channels.

But then again, this is the state gov…. Next she will paint the capitol building a combination of bright colors, have a rope and a doorman, and change her name to Gov. Gram-diggitty-dawg

biscuit

Cyburbian
This whole "Cool Cities" thing seems a little lame if you ask me. When you make attempts like this and have to keep telling people just how cool you are... well, chances are you aren't.

Last edited:

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Wisdom from the Simpsons

biscuit said:
This whole "Cool Cities" thing seems a little lame if you ask me. When you make attempts like this and have to keep telling people just how cool you are... well, chances are you aren't.

MARGE: I don't need someone to tell me I'm cool, and that makes me cool, right, kids?
BART AND LISA: No.
LISA: If nobody told you, how would you know?