• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Stay away from those bad snacks!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
There are specific snacks that I consume almost every night before I hit the hay that I know won't contribute to sustaining my overall good health. Those snacks, which I've been told are bad for me numerous times by a certain loved one ;-), include:

- Snickers mini-sized candybars
- Coca Cola

I'm in Snickers and Coca Cola hell! 8-! :-D

What specific snacks do you consume regularly that you know you shouldn't?

boiker

Cyburbian
If you want to call it a "bad" snack. Infrequently I'll snack on tortilla chips and hot, home made salsa, and carrots and celery and blue-cheese dressing, french bread and olive oil.

but that's it. I rarely (1-3 seperate times a year) snack on popcorn, chips, fruit, crackers, candy, sugar, cake, ice cream, popscicles, pie, etc. My wife and kids are the candy lovers...I give them all easter, christmas and other holiday candy that my mom still gives me.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I have this "thing" for chili flavored fritos. I buy them infrequently to prevent gorging my mouth soooo full that I can't hold anymore. Wash it down with a Bud.

Dragon

Cyburbian
1. Chunky Chips Ahoy cookies (avg. of once a week)

2. Zero Bars with Sprite (avg. of twice a month)

3. Chips from the evil vending machine in the building (avg. 3 bags a week)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
making an english muffin sandwich before going to bed - consists of toasted english muffin, mayo, hard salami, and cheese. It's not necessarily bad, but it definitely can give you weird dreams.

BEK, I hope you at least brush your teeth before going to sleep. If you don't, I'd be suprised if you have any of your original teeth. ;-)

mendelman said:
making an english muffin sandwich before going to bed - consists of toasted english muffin, mayo, hard salami, and cheese. It's not necessarily bad, but it definitely can give you weird dreams.
As well as an early morning visit to the throne..... 8-! ;-)

I just discovered pina colada flavored white chocolate Almond Joy. It's so tropically delicious. :-D

I eat chocolate "for medicinal purposes only" (daily, of course ;-) ). It helps keep me off of albuterol. :-D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
If I snack it is only healthy stuff. I gave up the bad stuff when I went on my diet in Feburary. 94% fat free popcorn, Quakes in assorted flavors, Wow tostitos and salsa, Skinny Cow ice cream. perhaps some fruit now and then

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
BEK, I hope you at least brush your teeth before going to sleep. If you don't, I'd be suprised if you have any of your original teeth. ;-)
Ain't (sorry English majors) that the truth! The pearly whites are just fine...must be in order to continue snacking on those Snickers mini-sized candybars. ;-) Brushing and flossing my teeth every night ensures that. :-D

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I do the Dew far too frequently. It used to be the 12 oz. can was the norm. Then came the 16 oz. bottle. Now the 20 oz. bottle is standard. What's next, 28 oz? Probably coming soon to a c-store near you.

BKM

Cyburbian
I have an addictive personality :(

My list:

Ice Cream
Iced Coffee Drinks
Sourdough Bread+Infernal Foreign-Made Cheese.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Anthon Berg marzipan. Not the gooey faux fruit flavor stuff. Chocolate covered. Mmmmmmm :-D

BKM sourdough bread! How could you! Bread in southern Indiana is like gum, no crust, no fluffiness, just chewy yucky dough. I miss good Italian hard rolls from my native New Jersey. And sourdough! Ahhhhhh.

donk

Cyburbian
My bad food habit is pop/soda/coke. Does not really matter what the flavour is, I just have to drink a bottle in the car. Back in the last place I lived all bottles had a deposit, I always joked that the back seat of may car was my retirement fund.

I had a room mate first year university who would drink litres of coke a day, including a good portion of it in his sleep.

Other bad food habits are bread / carbs and cheese. I can eat a loaf of bread (plain) in a single sitting and eat a pound of cheese in a single sitting.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm a snackaholic. Mostly because I don't eat really big meals most times. My eating habits have gotten a bit better since joining weight watchers a few weeks ago to take off some extra pounds before the wedding/honeymoon. So now snacks are 'good for me' like celery and nonfat yogurt dip. Or a splurge is rice crispy treats. My favourite snack though as far as healthy stuff is crunchy corn bran (without the milk).

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Lets see...

Beer.
Salsa and Chips
Thin mint cookies (from the freezer)
Ice tea in the summer
Hot cocoa in the winter (with little colored marshmallows so they make swirls)
Sugar cookies

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Mostly South-Beach approved snacks the last several months: fat-free pudding, nuts, dried apricots, and no-sugar fudgicles.

But I have slipped a couple times: salt and vinegar chips, or a little bowl of Raisin Bran late at night... Only one small bag of M&Ms so far.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Is bourbon considered a snack? ;-)

I honostly don't have much of a sweet tooth so candybars, chocolates and cokes rarely cross my lips. My weakness tends to be breads and cheeses. Given the opportunity I will eat a whole block of good cheese. And french bread dipped in olive oil and spices... Mmmmmmmm...

For a while there a couple of years ago I was eating french onion Sun Chips with french onion dip every night after work. It's good stuff but I can attest to the fact that eating it every night can go a long ways toward making you fat. Lately, however, I've tried to be a good biscuit and have traded in the chips and dip for pita bread and humus, and pitted calamatas from the olive bar at Whole Foods.

Last edited:

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Coffee, if liquids count as snacks. I recently discovered our blender, and have been tossing yogurt, berries, carrots, wheat germ etc into it and drinking that. Mmmmmm smoothie. Carrots and hummus, yum. And cheese, in any form but processed, and best of all fried or in mac and cheese. Mmmmm, cheese. We try not to buy any junk food at the grocery, because then we have to take it home and eat it. B-)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Donuts! - Maybe I'll get a maple one in honor of Canada Day. They're the perfect companion to my coffee addiction.

If you don't care about carbs, I've found that the hard granola bars are a good substitute for snacks. Does that make me some sort of hippy?

On special occassions, nothing beats torrone. I could eat a brick of it. God bless the Italians.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Often I eat cheese and crackers later in the evening.

Some other snacks I often eat:
-Sunflower seeds - I think I am addicted, I probably buy a bag a week. Maybe I was a major league baseball player in a former life.
-Pistachios, or pretty much any type of nut
-Potato Chips
-Pirates Booty or any other puffed corn snack like that.
-I like salty foods more than sugary ones, but when it comes to sugar, I like Reisen candies, Hersheys TReasures (coconut or toffee) and Dove dark chocolate.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
Often I eat cheese and crackers later in the evening.
-Pirates Booty or any other puffed corn snack like that.
Oh my god I love that stuff. Can't find it in Canada though. I miss Trader Joe's. :(

BEK - and no problems sleeping after the caffeine and sugar intake?

I'm not much of a late night snacker, but I could very easily toast up a whole loaf of italian or cinnamon raisin bread and eat it, slice by slice with a ton of butter. I think that contributed to the last 7 pounds of pregnancy weight....

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
A stick of landjaeger, swiss cheese, and a crisp heel of pumpernickel. Wash it down with a nice cold Pilsner Urquell. Mmmm mmm

My vice is Edy's ice cream, either French Vanilla or strawberry. I also can't go to the grocery store without getting Gummy worms either. Other than that, I don't have a sweet tooth anymore. ;-)

Floridays

Cyburbian
Krispy Kreme raspberry jelly donuts
cheese cheese cheese
pretzels
ice cream (Haggan Daz Caramel Brownie Swirl is awesome!)
Nacho Cheese Doritos
too many diet cokes/diet Barqs/diet DP
honey roasted peanuts

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
BEK - and no problems sleeping after the caffeine and sugar intake?
No problem at all. I think that the caffeine and sugar intake actually put me to sleep. ;-) :-D

Habanero

Cyburbian
I wish I could snack on the yummy food, but now it seems like I'm not even bringing it in the house or if I do I always drink a glass of water and brush my teeth before I decide to eat it or not. (Doritos and that fresh minty taste are awful together!)

My biggest weakness is cheese though, so I'll cube cheese up extremely small and eat it with grapes or an apple. I also just found motz rolled up with prosciutto and basil at the deli, I has one slice with dinner and knew I couldn't buy it anymore, I could eat the whole package with no problem.

BKM

Cyburbian
donk said:
Other bad food habits are bread / carbs and cheese. I can eat a loaf of bread (plain) in a single sitting and eat a pound of cheese in a single sitting.
Oof. You must put a lot of miles on the bike to stay so thin. I do this, too, with fewer miles on the bike-which is why I can't fit my old pairs of pants anymore :(

BKM said:
Oof. You must put a lot of miles on the bike to stay so thin. I do this, too, with fewer miles on the bike-which is why I can't fit my old pairs of pants anymore :(
A genetic disorder can be ever so helpful with issues like that. I have lost 4 or 5 pounds in recent weeks with my "get out of bed more often" fitness plan. :p :-D

Seriously: my son has lost 6 pounds in recent months and his doctor is whigging. We are trying to put weight on him. And I was rail thin like that, too, for much of my life. I can show you the pics some time, if you don't believe me. :-}

And the down side: he and I have serious issues with trying to eat at all, with feeling like we are starving on a full stomach, etc. Getting adequate treatment has helped these last 3 years but there is no cure.

I have met you. You aren't really a porker. Life could be a whole lot worse than carrying a few extra pounds.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Favourite Snacks

For me, several trips to Denmark (visit snack giving grand parents) resulted in a lifelong affection for dutch licorice - the saltier the better.

One of my favorite hard licorice treats (shaped like rabbit poo) was called "SpiderHowl" (english translation).

Floridays

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Q. Have you tried IBC diet Root Beer ?
I've had IBC in the past but not the diet kind. I usually buy the stuff for its lack of caffiene, so that I can drink it at night and not ride the caffiene wave right before bedrime. But I'm willing to try it!

BKM

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I have met you. You aren't really a porker. Life could be a whole lot worse than carrying a few extra pounds.
Well, geez, Michelle. I think I will use this phrase as my new Self Esteem Slogan of the Month. Can I make this my sig line? :) :-#

BKM said:
Well, geez, Michelle. I think I will use this phrase as my new Self Esteem Slogan of the Month. Can I make this my sig line? :) :-#
Oh, gawd. Is it THAT bad???

My apologies. But I don't know why you complain about your weight. You look perfectly normal to me.

Maybe I should go back to sleep and get up all over again. I may have gotten up on the wrong side of the coffin. It was meant to be "nice". I blew that. :-}

BKM

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Oh, gawd. Is it THAT bad???

My apologies. But I don't know why you complain about your weight. You look perfectly normal to me.

Maybe I should go back to sleep and get up all over again. I may have gotten up on the wrong side of the coffin. It was meant to be "nice". I blew that. :-}
Nah. Just the phrasing was...amusing.