• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

steep slopes

crystal074

I am trying to collect information on developments that have been located on steep slopes and either had problems due to engineering or planning issues. Most of the information I have seen on the web deals with landslides and such, but the area where I am trying to protect is in New Jersey and landslides are very rare. I am looking for specific examples of existing developments, including photos. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Jeff

Cyburbian
There are steep slopes in Jersey?? Must be building on a landfill :)

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Would you accept examples where development on steep slopes HAS worked? Seems like there is an agenda if you are looking for negative examples to prohibit development on steep slopes.

Beware Beware!!

Jeff

Cyburbian
You may also want to investigae the effects of removing trees and vegetation frome the slopes, one of the biggest causes of erosion when steep slopes are disturbed.

I would guess you are talking about slopes 15-25% and 25% and greater correct?

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
The best source of information, references, etc on this question is usually your state geological survey. If anyone has collected locally relevant examples, it will probably be them. Depending on where you are located in NJ, you might also try the adjoining state's geological svy. The USGS also has compilations of information on slope hazards. They will feature landslides, but will include some other aspects of the hazard. You can also talk to your local NRCS people. If the issue is erosion as steep slopes are laid bare, they can help you document the potential for that based on soil mapping units. Can even, if they have time make some useful calculations of runoff and soil loss quantities.