• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Still Waiting for...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
- Global Warming: I bet you were begging for some global warming last winter... :p Too bad we're going for a Little Ice age rather than global warming.

- WMD to spontaneously apear in Irak: I bet that WMD in Irak are harder to find than Waldo :p

- Proof of the birth of the First Human Clone: Does anybody remember Raelians anymore? I guess the Human Clone boom just died off as quickly as it appeared....

- The capture of Osama bin Laden (and Saddam) : I bet he's hidding Iraks' WMD in a cave, and lives there with Saddam.

- The arrival of Happiness: (related to Chile exclusively *) So Pinochet is down from the government, and now that we're in a democracy again, we were promised Happiness by the winning parties.... We're still waiting, and now the motherf*ckers are going to make taxes higher.. I bet that should bring the Happiness they promised... NOT! :(

(*) Back in 1989 when there was an election, to vote to the return to democracy or an extension of the period of Pinochet for like 8 years. Obviously the return of democracy won, and their slogan for that election was "Chile, the Happiness is comming", and now we're waiting ;)

So what's your "Still waiting for..."?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
... someone to open a golf driving range / mexican restaurant combination

... a good gubernatorial candidate

... my damned factory ordered new car to show up

... the perfect martini

... my stalk-ee to give in to my passions

... the check thats in the mail

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My little vacation to start in 3 hours.

A Margaritas Mexican restaurant to open here. NHP’s got like 5 of em up there. And a Trader Joe’s too.

The planning job market to improve (maybe I should have voted for Al Gore) ;)

All the planned high rises in downtown Providence to actually get built. We’ve been looking at the same skyline for too long.

Kunstler’s impending gas shortage and the disasterous effects that will follow leading to the localization and downscaling of our current petroleum based economy, and the resultant "battle over the table scraps of the 20th Century" – BRING IT ON!!!

All famous nu-metal artists to die of heroin overdoses.

OJ to find the real killer.

I am confident that WMD's will be found. When they are found after months of US occupation it should highlight the futiilty of having the UN Inspector's look for them forever. But if they're not found by next fall - Hello President Dean! ;)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
- the man of my dreams
- the winning lottery ticket
- the ringing in my ears to subside

jordanb

Cyburbian
I agree with a lot of Kunstler's rantings, but that oil shortage thing is just nutty.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Not In My Lifetime, Obviously

....the "peace" dividend that was supposed to arrive after the fall of the "Evil Empire-Warsaw Pact."

A folly; we've got a whole new group of ghosts and evil to blow defense-military-industrial complex $$ on.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I am confident that WMD's will be found.
They'll be found in a place they've already looked five times with the "USAF" stencil sand blasted and serial numbers filed off.

Also back on topic:

- the democrats to get a clue (and a spine).
- flying cars (or have they given that up in favor of PRT?)
- a manned mission to Mars.
- the compassionate bit to show itself.
- the trickling down to start.
- peace in Palestine.
- Godot.

H

Cyburbian
That guy I gave a 20 to outside of the ‘quickie mart’ when I was 18 to come out with my beer….

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Huston said:
That guy I gave a 20 to outside of the ‘quickie mart’ when I was 18 to come out with my beer….
Sorry H man, I used the twenty for leverage to buy some crack...or was it for a whore?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
-The Police Reunion Tour
-Metallica to release one more great CD (C'mon guys its been almost 15 years since ...and Justice For All)
-Job satisfaction

SGB

Cyburbian
- Michael Jackson to admit that the purpose of all his plastic surgery is to make him look like a younger Diana Ross.

- NY Governor Pataki to realize that the lower Hudson River valley is not Upstate New York.

Last edited:

el Guapo

Capitalist
jordanb said:
They'll be found in a place they've already looked five times with the "USAF" stencil sand blasted and serial numbers filed off.
That was kind of a reckless statement you made there young one. Son, I bet you don't have the balls to say that to a member of the Air Force in person.

SGB said:

- NY Governor Pataki to realize that the lower Hudson River valley is not Upstate New York.
Hear Hear!

Also:
- Wegmans to come to Albany
- an upswing in good fortune for public schools
- November to get here, so I can stop being an exhausted and cranky prego (sorry pregos), and be an exhausted and cranky new mom instead

SGB

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Hear Hear!
OT: I knew you'd like that one, DT. :)

Back on topic:

- Consituents to realize that not all elected local politicians make good municipal managers.

- Newbies to read, understand and follow the forum rules. ;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
- A new Mayor, and CD Director
- A new Knight Rider Series
- A fax machine that will not mess up
- A computer that will not lock up
- A gym that has good air conditioning and no waiting lines, yet is full of hot women

Oh and:

Jessie-J said:
- the man of my dreams
Depending on what you look like, and your personality, and location I guess....

I am right here.

Queen B

Cyburbian
The horrible things that were suppose to happen for Y2K and then those who said we didn't figure the date right. I figure I have given them enough time now...

A Paul Simon tour

Repo Man

Cyburbian
As a follower of the teachings of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs and the Church of the SubGenius, I am still waiting for the world as we know it to end, as it was supposed to on X-Day, July 5, 1998

biscuit

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Oh and:
Depending on what you look like, and your personality, and location I guess....

I am right here.
Not feeling shy today are ya Mike?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
...for the Republican Administration to fess-up.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
EG said:
That was kind of a reckless statement you made there young one. Son, I bet you don't have the balls to say that to a member of the Air Force in person.
I can't agree with you, EG. He insulted the Air Force (in better times known as the Army Air Corps). If he had insulted the Army, the Marines, the Coast Guard, maybe the Navy, or the Boy Scouts, perhaps he might have something to fear. But insulting the Air Force? What are they going to do, drown him in tears? ;)

jordanb

Cyburbian
I didn't insult any branch of the service. I insulted bush for being a lying idiot that went to war on false pretense. I said "USAF" because they're the ones with the bombs (actually I probably could have said "Navy" too).

Apparently that wasn't clear enough for some people here. Next time I'll not add any subtly at all to my posts because I know they'll be misinterpreted with skill not commonly seen outside of Usenet.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
  • widescale implementation and adoption of the metric system in the United States.
  • flying cars, personal jet packs, food pills, and the shiny uniforms all citizens will be required to wear.
  • folks to get a clue.
  • my health insurance to cover Strattera.
  • this month's copy of Planning magazine.
  • a date with a woman who won't run back to the ex after our first date. :(

Jeff

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
I didn't insult any branch of the service. I insulted bush for being a lying idiot that went to war on false pretense. I said "USAF" because they're the ones with the bombs (actually I probably could have said "Navy" too).

Apparently that wasn't clear enough for some people here. Next time I'll not add any subtly at all to my posts because I know they'll be misinterpreted with skill not commonly seen outside of Usenet.
You really don't have a clue do you..step outside of the classroom everyone once in a while son, there is a world that exists beyond your professors.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Then go to a chat room ...
I thought about it, but then I reaized that many of those women are scary.

I am not looking, but I am not going to look away.

tsc

Cyburbian
SGB said:
- Michael Jackson to admit that the purpose of all his plastic surgery is to make him look like a younger Diana Ross.

sorry... 80 percent of the population of NY.. considers the hudson valley as upstate NY... and they think the rest is called Buffalo... and that is debatable...... ... many think that anything west of the Hudson River isn't even called New York...it is the Jersey-side of the Hudson!!! (they also think upstate includes only Westchester.. and maybe a smattering of Putnam and Dutchess County....)

I am a former upstater....I sympathize with you.....especially as a planner...

what am I waiting for...

The people going the speed limit to get out of the passing lane!!!

and some miracle so I can retire early!!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Still Waiting For....

Someone to start up the ALL NEW "Cyburbia Dating Game" 1st contestant michaleskis from Reading, PA

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Off Topic: perhaps a new thread on dating. Totally inappropriate for the site, I know. But perhaps you could make the conclusion that many of the people here have similar interests because we're all posting and reading on this site. Who wouldn't want to date someone with similar interests?

maybe I'm still waiting for:
the man of my dreams that shares my interests. hehe

and add to that
...the elderly drivers to find the GAS pedal! (pssst- it's the right one!)
...more free seminars in St. Louis on Neighborhood and Regional Planning

michaelskis

Cyburbian
If I am the first contestant, where in line would you be "pimp dogg"?

But I would agree, we would all like to find some one with similar interests. As it is, I have gone out a few times with a girl who works for a convention and tourism bureau. We both look at cities as what do they have, or don’t have to offer.

Last edited:
Jessie-J said:
Off Topic: perhaps a new thread on dating. Totally inappropriate for the site, I know.
Are you kidding?????? There are PLENTY of threads in the archives that dispute this. LOL

This thread was the most popular one.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
No kidding, there are sooo many threads about Downtown's college hook ups, a thread about dating is pretty benign. ;)

Queen B

Cyburbian
"A topless car wash."

Hey, Budgie! The girls at our local strip club were talking about just that activity, they were going to make it a benefit for breast cancer research. They were going to put up some partitions so no one could see behind them and bring the cars in to be washed. The kicker, they were going to be in swimming suits and only wash the bottom of the car, thus topless car wash!
I thought it was a great idea!

Chet said:
No kidding, there are sooo many threads about Downtown's college hook ups, a thread about dating is pretty benign. ;)
Hey! Those threads were about my college binge drinking! the hookups were just a side note. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
jordanb said:

You insulted me and everyone that has ever served and those serving now by implying that these people would lie to the American people by planting evidence. The fact that we are this far down the road and still have no smoking gun is a testament to the honesty of those that serve your sorry ass. These people have taken a solemn oath to protect and defend the people and constitution of the United States. You on the other hand are a juvenile troll. Compare your worth to society to those who are doing something for their community

PS. I got your subtly, right here.

El Feo

Cyburbian
EG said:
The fact that we are this far down the road and still have no smoking gun is a testament to the honesty of those that serve your sorry ass.
As well as the honesty of the present administration, I might add.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
back to the thread topic....

....a return to some sense of sanity in my personal life.

jordanb

Cyburbian
EG said:
You insulted me and everyone that has ever served and those serving now by implying that these people would lie to the American people by planting evidence. The fact that we are this far down the road and still have no smoking gun is a testament to the honesty of those that serve your sorry ass. These people have taken a solemn oath to protect and defend the people and constitution of the United States. You on the other hand are a juvenile troll. Compare your worth to society to those who are doing something for their community
So your argument is that to suppose that Bush could find anyone in our two million strong military to help him plant fake WMDs is to "insult" everyone who has ever served in the armed forces? Is it an insult to my father or my grandfather (Lt. Air Force) to suppose that Lt Col Oliver North was anything but a upstanding officer who faithfully upheld the oath he took? Or, if you're going to bring presidents into it, that The Honorable Richard M Nixon, did not "faithfully execute the office of President of the United States?" If every single one of our soldiers are so beyond suspect that the mere speculation that a few of them might be compelled to violate their oath is an affront, why does the JAG exist? This argument of yours is so ridiculous, so patently absurd that I think it's quite obvious who's trolling who here.

At any rate, you are right in one thing, no "smoking gun" has been found. New questions are surfacing about the credibility of the evidence he used, yet Americans have affirmed that they don't care. He's already gotten away with lying, I doubt he'll be stupid enough to risk trying to plant evidence when he can get away without it. If anyone is to plant a bomb now, it'll be Blair. The British have shown themselves superior to Americans in that they still demand accountability from their political leaders. It's him who'll eventually be nailed against the wall for this little charade. Bush will only go down if the guerrilla war in Iraq continues to kill Americans at its current rate.

Back on topic:
- for peace and democracy (or just a stable body count) in Iraq.

el Guapo

Capitalist
No, my argument is that you are a punk who hasn't earned the right to insult your betters.

I'd like to meet you someday. :)

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Hear Hear!

Also:
- Wegmans to come to Albany
- an upswing in good fortune for public schools
- November to get here, so I can stop being an exhausted and cranky prego (sorry pregos), and be an exhausted and cranky new mom instead
I third that!!! I use to live in Newburgh and people always use to call it upstate..from leaders to New Yorkers!!!! argh.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
In Illinois, everything outside of the Chicago metro area is "downstate." I lived for several years in DeKalb, where I learned that southern Illinois begins at I-80 (draw a line from Chicago to Davenport).