• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Preservation Stone wall preservation

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Hello there - I am looking for examples of ordinances that require the protection of stone walls (property line boundary markers) during site planning or subdivision. Thanks.

Josh Pastin

Evanston, Illinois, has stone walls on either side on a major road (Ridge Avenue). The best example that pops into mind is in Ireland/England, due to the Enclosure act and the preexisting stone walls that surround the country side.

Maine has a few stone walls that marked the end of farms, but I'm not sure as to where.

Hope that helps,

Josh

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Try contacting the National Trust for Historic Preservation, or see what information they have regarding the protection of cultural landscapes. ASLA (American Society of Landscape Architects) may also be a source of information.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
Lexington, KY has many stone walls, and I believe that they have a preservation plan and perhaps an ordinance. Also, there is a preservation plan for Kings Canyon National Park in CA for the stone walls, curbs, gutters, and other historic road elements (roads through trees).

Top Bottom