• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Stone Walls

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Robert Thorson of UConn is a big advocate of stone wall preservation. Apart from development pressures, property owners are dismantling the walls and selling them to stone companies to resell as landscaping material. I wonder if these regulations will catch on.

http://stonewall.uconn.edu/

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
We're very conscious of stonewall preservation here....and require preservation/reconstruction as part of all our development approvals.

BKM

Cyburbian
Solano County prohibits the removal of historic stone walls. They were built in the 19th century by Chinese laborers and are a nice feature in a few of the county's rural areas.

Maroon

Cyburbian
Bluegrass fences

The Dry Stone Conservancy is active in restoring and building stone fences, particularly in Kentucky. The walls are one of the defining characteristics of the local landscape. The Conservancy offers training courses for professional and amature masons- I hope to take the next class they're offering. Their most recent activity was along the C&O Canal in MD, I believe.

The Paris Pike Project (slow loading photos) involved restoring fences and building new ones along an extremely scenic section of US 68 between Lexington and Paris, KY. A really great use of transporation enhancement funds. Lexington also marks some fences as to date and method of construction, and the type of mason (African, Scottish, Irish, etc.)

I highly recommend Rock Fences of the Bluegrass for information about the various types of fences built in Kentucky during the past 250 years.