• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

storm ponds as aquatic garden

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
The boss wants to do a project on park property where we create storm water ponds as aquatic gardens for education of the public.

Anyone have something like this or know where one is?

Thanks!
Danie

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Storm ponds as acquatic gardens

What about water quality? oils and road salts, etc. We have been successful with only certain hardy vegetation types. I suppose the species and their tolerances differ by region, so experience is not universal.

We have been using one stormwater pond for a seasonal ice skating rink, but my concerns about the salts pitting and corroding metal skate blades are unresolved...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Yes im sorry this is for quality not quantity.

Well it does not get cold enough *thank the powers that be* to worry about ice skates etc.

D

IPlan

Cyburbian
Storm Project

Humm..

I have not yet seen an educational storm pond area, however, I was once involved in a project where we took a farm field, made it into a wetland that was used for tertiary waste water treatment. Because it was next to a lake and in a nice location, we put up an observation booth for bird watchers, put in some educational information etc...

Richi

Cyburbian
bturk - if I remember my chem classes, the ice on the pond will be more or less fresh and the salt will be left in solution in the water under the ice. I don't think it is a real problem with corroding ice skate blades since they use a retention pond in Szeged Hungary as a skating rink in winter. That pond is the only one that I saw in the City that obviously was man made. The only other drainage retention area (DRA) I saw looked to be a low spot and was just left full ow willow trees. made a nice green spot in a neighborhood. Without the extensive parking lots we have to have here, its possible to not have a DRA every block or so. Seems to me that parking lots are perhaps the major issue in urban form between Hungary (maybe most of Europe?) and North America.

Planner Girl - We have a large 10 plus acre regional retention pond in Tallahassee, that seems to be ok for ducks and other water birds. And it has the start of vegetation around the edges.

We also have a smaller 5 ? acre "Lake" near the city center that is really a retention area. It is used as the centerpiece of an urban park... sidewalk all around it, a fountain in the Middle (important for water quality dissolved O2 in summer), tot lot , ducks, geese and the long leg waider once in awhile. It works well, but had to be cleaned out a year ago after many years. So plan on cleaning silt and crap off the bottom every 10 years or so.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
HI can you email me directly with info about these ponds?
Thanks so much!

Danie

npsourced

The May, 98 issue of Landscape Architecture has a retrofit case in Denver at the Environmental Center of the Rockies that is interesting. I live in the Charleston, SC area, and Alhambra Hall in Mt. Pleasant has done a vegetated buffer demonstration project that is very attractive right on the harbor. Good luck with your project!