• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

storm water runoff standards

vaughan

Cyburbian
Hi folks-

I was wondering if anyone out there had any good examples of performance standards (or whatever) for storm water runoff. I've googled around and seen some stuff but figured i'd ask for any good examples people have come across. Ideally, this would be at the county level, but anything people think is good would be welcome. Also- mods, I haven't had a chance to search any past postings yet- if this topic has already been covered, just let me know.

Thanks!

Tom R

Cyburbian
water

Check out New Castle County, Delaware and the Water Resources Agency for the University of Delaware.

boilerplater

Cyburbian
The NJ DEP recently adopted new stormwater regs and put out a 1" thick manual to explain them all. I have a copy on my desk I have yet to slog through. At least some of its content should be on their website. Maybe you could get them to send you a copy. It has a lot of good info on new BMP's The most recent edition of Timesaver Standards for Landscape Architecture has a section on stormwater BMPs as well.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Maricopa County and the City of Phoenix have extensive requirements and I believe their manuals are available online. Not sure that they would work for your situation, since it's desert runoff.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Wisconsin has adoped standards for runoff and water quality that they are forcing larger communities, like ours, to adopt as an ordinance. I think it is NR217, but if you go to Wisconsin.gov and navigate to the Department of Natural Resources web page, there is a whole section on storm water. I will note that some of the requirements are not particularly good, and hamper sound development while doing nothing to slow runoff or improve water quality. Have these guys ever heard of flexible zoning?

vaughan

Cyburbian
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.. now I just need to find the time to do some solid research on it all.