• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Stormwater management plans

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
There may be no right or wrong answer to this; Do you think its best to craft a stormwater management plan with a local agency like a COG or a Soil & Water Conservation District? Or pay an engineering firm that does those sorts of plans? Would the private sector way produce a better, more detailed plan? Also, how does a city's stormwater management plan fit into a bigger watershed plan?

Reactions: Dan

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, well, it depends:

Does your COG have a stormwater geek on staff? If so, and if the COG has a good reputation in your community, then yes, that's a good option as their billable rate is low
Same with Soil & Water

Private firm is good, but maybe no better, and will cost more

so it depends on the individual preparing the plan more than the agency imho

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I work for a COG. We don't write the plan. However, we work with communities to understand their need for a plan.

We also can get group rates for permitting/sampling stuff, if multiple communities need it. That has worked well on keeping costs low, too.

kms

Cyburbian
I work for a conservation district that reviews E&S plans and issues NPDES permits for construction activity. We review the stormwater portion of the permit application. Engineers design and submit the applications and plans. Municipalities have jurisdiction over stormwater here in PA.

We don’t, and can’t, design stormwater plans.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Oh, well, it depends:

Does your COG have a stormwater geek on staff? If so, and if the COG has a good reputation in your community, then yes, that's a good option as their billable rate is low
Same with Soil & Water

Private firm is good, but maybe no better, and will cost more

so it depends on the individual preparing the plan more than the agency imho
I worked with our COG on a comp plan when I worked in another City and I would rate the product a 5. Adequate, but not much more. I am thinking of just doing an RFQ or RFP and allowing the COG to bid against the private firms, etc.

Phillip C.

Private firm.... your NPDES stormwater management plan shouldn’t be too expensive. You could include in the RFP a watershed management plan and get the NFIP points but that much more detailed and will be expensive and definitely an engineering firm for that.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I was just at our state conference and there was a lot of talk of integrated waste and storm water planning. I guess we can get credits for phosphorus if we can take care of some erosion problems.