• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Strange radio stations

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Last week, when I was returning to Kansas City from Buffalo, I was scanning the radio dial in Nowheresville, Illinois. I came across a passable radio station that played a mix of oldies, album-oriented classic rock and alternative rock from the early 1990s.

Not too strange, until I heard the commercials ... for State Farm Insurance, farm implement dealers, and old folks' homes. Seemed very unusual for a rock station.

After the commercials ... hospital admissions were read. Hospital admissions, as in "Eleanor Klopp, 83, of East Nowheresville, was admitted to Nowhere County Regional Medical Center on September 3." Huh? Never heard hospital admittals read on the radio before.

The reading of hospital admissions went on for about ten minutes, and it was followed by ... obituaries! Ten minutes of death ... who died, when they kicked the bucket, their age, their church, their spouse, their maiden names if any, survivors, funeral and wake locations and times, and so on.

After the obituaries, the just-out-of-college DJ announced "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd as the next tune.

Very, very strange. I'm surprised there wasn't tradio thrown in there somewhere, with folks calling up to sell tractors, chainsaws and guns between twofers of the Rolling Stones and Boston.

tsc

Cyburbian
there is a radio station in Upstate NY,,, I think it comes out of Mexico, NY. It is a religious station... but one that talks about how UFO's are fallen angels to do the work of the devil... etc, etc. They are anti-everything....I used to listen to it everyonce in a while because it was so out there... it almost sounded like a script from Saturday Night Live. You can find this station in the Utica-Rome-Syracuse area.

This station is in the middle of nowhere... I think I would rather have Dan's farmer rock station!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan said:
After the commercials ... hospital admissions were read.
YEAH. UMMMMM. Thats ILLEGAL. The new HIPPA law doesnt allow for any disclosure of medical records. A pastor stopping by a hospital cant even find out if one of his flock have been admitted.

I think the strangest radio station I've experienced is the now-defunct 92.5/7 out of Chicago. They played techno and dance, which wasnt the strange part. Their commercials were often strange - probably due to the demographic they drew on. In one hour I remember hearing 2 AIDS clininc ads, a methodone clinic ad, an Alanon ad, and a herpes cure ad.

SGB

Cyburbian
tsc said:
there is a radio station in Upstate NY,,, I think it comes out of Mexico, NY. [snip] This station is in the middle of nowhere...
What do you mean, in the middle of nowhere? ;)

That's "God's Country " New York state style!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Very, very strange. I'm surprised there wasn't tradio thrown in there somewhere., with folks calling up to sell tractors, chainsaws and guns between twofers of the Rolling Stones and Boston.
A station near my hometown does just that. It reads the daily obituaries for the county, broadcast from local high school sporting events, broadcast church services and daily hosts the Flea Market. A show where people with everything from tractors to puppies and cars for sell call in, say what they have and the price, and leave their phone number.

Sounds hokey but it's a neat little community resource.

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
Most listened to 10 minutes on our radio station is from 10-10:10am for the obits. Timed to coincide with break at the mill.

On the hospital thing, I swear at our's people go, find one person they know and then spend the day there going from room to room to see everyone else who they have found out is in the hospital. Nothing like having to be polite to total strangers when you are trying to pass a kidney stone.

tsc

Cyburbian
SGB... I knew that would catch your attention!!!

Isn't Mexico on the Tug Hill Plateau.. on the way to Watertown???

There is a great fish and tackle shop around there... in Pulaski.... called "Fat Nancy's Bait and Tackle".... the fun part is that they have their own clothing line... Fat Nancy's Outfitters....

BKM

Cyburbian
If strange is defined by context

AM 560 in San Francisco is pretty strange, given how wacky-lefty the Bay Area tends to be (although not out here in Solano County. Plenty of Letters to the Editor quoting Leviticus out here :) ). We are talking Michael Savage, Ann Coulter, the whole crew. I can listen to Rush and sometimes find him amusing. Most of the "Hot Talk 560" crew is simply hateful.

Michael Savage and his wife once violently accosted a news crew filming a Police Department action. They were doing a ride along with the Police) because "you commie liberals are trying to destroy our police." Evey problem in the Bay Area that is not the falut of Hilary is the fault of "radical gays." Pretty amazing radio station.

SGB

Cyburbian
tsc said:
SGB... I knew that would catch your attention!!!

Isn't Mexico on the Tug Hill Plateau.. on the way to Watertown???

There is a great fish and tackle shop around there... in Pulaski.... called "Fat Nancy's Bait and Tackle".... the fun part is that they have their own clothing line... Fat Nancy's Outfitters....
[OT] Mexico is actually just a little west of the Tug Hill Region.

I'm heading up that way in three weeks to gather with some college buddies in beautiful downtown Osceola .[/OT]