• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Strangest interview????

pandersen

Cyburbian
For me, an interview in upstate New York. - entry level position.

Planning director shows me around prior to the formal interview. director explains how one fellow is out of the office because someone punched him in the eye and he was having retinal damage repaired. director then showed me vacant office - would be mine if selected. Director then mentioned that position was available because former employee was dismissed after being caught having sex with his girlfriend on the desk in that office.

As an aside, I wasn't offered the position because the director felt I was over qualified and would undoubtedly leave within 1 year.

What is your best interview "war /horror story"?

tsc

Cyburbian
pandersen said:
For me, an interview in upstate New York. - entry level position.

As an aside, I wasn't offered the position because the director felt I was over qualified and would undoubtedly leave within 1 year.

What is your best interview "war /horror story"?
lemme guess...Utica, NY

tsc

Cyburbian
Mine was for a town in northern VT... and they asked me how I would file planning board and zoning board applications....literally... how I would put them into a file cabinet...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Not really strange, but...

After the interview proper, we took a tour of the city then stopped at the local watering hole for a beer. A former City Engineer asked who I was and where I was from and when I told him he said 'You do not want to come to work here'. There have been times I think he was right.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Mine wasn't really the whole interview, but a really weird question during one...

I was being interviewed by a man and woman team. Towards the end of the interview, the guy points to his colleague and asks, "what size bra do you think she wears?" Although she was probably no bigger than a B-cup, I instantly said, "36C", just for the sake of flattery. Must have worked, because I got the position.

SGB

Cyburbian
pandersen said:
For me, an interview in upstate New York.

Director then mentioned that position was available because former employee was dismissed after being caught having sex with his girlfriend on the desk in that office.
Was it in one of these fabled North Country counties?

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
tsc said:
lemme guess...Utica, NY
My strangest interview was when I was just out of grad school. First interview with the planning director went fine, then they called and asked if I'd return to meet with the mayor. I figured it was just a formality.

About all I can remember now is the mayor chewing me out and telling me that he didn't want to hire someone who wasn't from the community because they'd leave in a year. Not knowing quite how to respond, I idiotically tried to convince him that I would stick around. He must not have believed me, because I never heard from the community again.

THAT was Utica, NY.

Rem

Cyburbian
I wasn't the victim but i was present.

As part of my Bachelor's degree we were required to do twelve months work experience before commencing our final year. We would all be on the market at the same time and we would be competing for the same jobs - mid way through year 3 (it was a 5 year course).

I was keen to get out of Sydney where my course was and applied to a small north coast Council. Only one other student applied for the same job. The Shire Engineer (who was also the designated planning officer), the Shire Clerk (CEO equivalent) and the Shire President came to Sydney to conduct the interview. I think it was a good excuse for a couple of days on the tiles.

They interviewed the two of us over lunch in a pub, concurrently. I didn't like that for a start.

The other guy was by far the better student and more intelligent but he was completely guileless. He ordered the most expensive thing on the menu - which in turn kept everyone waiting, he spilt his drink, he managed to scatter vegetables everywhere while cutting his steak, spilt gravy in his lap, usually had his mouth full when answering questions, didn't really think about his answers before speaking. It was painful to watch.

The Shire Engineer told me later that they included me only because they thought with two applicants, they needed someone to compare the other guy to (his marks were so much better than mine). I still shake my head at how badly he presented himself. We knew each other pretty well and I think he would have been miserable in a small town so maybe it worked out for the best. He is still the dorky smart guy, even today, 20 years on.

A friend of mine (engineer) says he went to an interview once in Lithgow. A town with a bad reputation for climate and lifestyle. He took a drive around town beforehand and was so unimpressed he told the panel at the start of the interview (it was with the whole Council) that they should give the job to the other guy he had met in the waiting area before going in to the interview.

Another friend of mine reckons he answered a question on an appplication form for a bank - "What are you looking for from a career in the bank?" He claims to have said "Total world domination" and still got the job.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My first job out of college. The first interview, in Personnel, was OK, as was the one with my potential supervisor, but when he took me to his boss, he saw my last name and asked me if I was related to Charlie M*****y. Yeah, it was my uncle, who was active in engineering circles. Thereafter, as he took me around the complex, for 2 hours, I was introduced to everyone as "Charlie M*****y's niece". Got the job, though.

P.S. I am NOT an engineer.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Interviewed by the county engineer about the planning director.

"Do you realize N****e is really a man?"

Um, yeah. The deep voice, heavy build, awful clothes, and obvious attempt by a male to look female gave it away.

Did not get the job, thankfully. Would have been a drop in pay. A few year later, the women in the courthouse sued the county because N****e was using the women's restroom. I think they finally settled by building a unisex bathroom on his...um her floor.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
My favorite they told me that the last person in the planner position got fired for:

1) Punching out the planning draftsman for talking to his girlfriend at a party. He actually sucker punched him a day later.

2) Got a ticket coming back from lunch and was so upset about it he had to be sent home from work for the rest of the day.

3) Got a ticket coming to work one day and called saying he couldn't come in.

So, my thought is cool I know I can definately do better than this guy because I can keep my temper.

Funniest part is that the guy got a job as a GIS analyst for a police dept in Connecticut. Why in the world he would work for a police dept is beyond me.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
A bit O.T.
not strange, but great location
Flew to Kalispell, MT, gateway community to Glacier NP
on a saturaday for a monday interview, spent sunday in the park.