• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Strangest proposal you have ever been presented

pandersen

Cyburbian
Hey There Fellow Planners;

Lets here from all of you out there in cyber-space about the strangest development proposal you have ever seen come across your desk for a review. Let's hear about new development, adaptive reuses, rehabilitations and renovations.

In my case, I've got a couple of bueaties!

In one instance, I received a proposal from a fellow who wanted to bury a bunch of school buses at the bottom of a gravel pit so that he could use them as a fall-out shelter.

In another instance, I received an application from a red-neck who wanted to know if he needed a building permit to combine two mobile chicken coups so that he could fashion a new mobile home for his son who had just been married. I'm not kidding!

Brent

Cyburbian
How about a trophy home owner who wanted to construct a helicopter landing pad in his back yard (on a 1 acre lot)?

Currently working with the Planning Commission to get a whitewater kayaking park constructed in our town - should be pretty fun.

Linden Smith

Cyburbian
How about the dirt bike racetrack, with a shooting range in the middle of it.

Or the mobile home/dog kennel?

My favorite was the guy who began to convert a barn to an apartment building. When told he would need a building permit and a connection to sewer, he said "for Mexicans?"

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
A trumpet player from Disney World who wanted to develop a residential school for troubled kids. No plans, no backers, etc. It actually went as far as public hearings, where it was denied. I think we were the 3rd county he had tried this in.

Y2K Requests

In December 1999 I received a dozen requests for building permits for outhouses so they would have a place to go when our treatment plant exploded!

We had a guy bring in drawings to develop a commercial lot into a human scale model of a Stanley tape measure to be used as a showroom for his cabinet company - Thank God for design review!