• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

street name sign

ROBERT

Our community is looking at replacing the old small ( 6 inch) street signs with new and larger (12 inch) ones and probably including the block address range. The consensus is that not all streets will need the larger signs, either because of slower speeds or fewer lanes. Does any one know of a local community that has developed a policy on street signage size and or placement?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
No, but I do know of several that use different signage in different districts. We have a street sign that includes the city logo, which is used in the downtown and some arterials. The rest of the city is the standard green background with white lettering. It isn't anything official (i.e. ordinance, etc.).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The policy of Aurora, Colorado went something like this ...

6" lettering - intersection of local streets.
9" lettering - intersection of local streets with major arterials.
12" (or larger) lettering - internally illuminated overhead signs at signalized intersections along major arterials.

Green signs - identified publicly maintained streets.
Blue signs - identified privately maintained streets.

All signs in Aurora, as was standard practice in the Denver metro area, always displayed the block number and direction ... of the street you were on, not the intersecting street identified on the sign. A bit bass ackwards, I know.

Denver used somewhat larger signs along major arterials to identify cross streets, with both uppercase and lowercase letters. On local streets, all signs were smaller, with all uppercase lettering.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Toronto andSubury, ON have both adopted larger-size street signs for major intersections - I think they may even be larger than 12", but I can't confirm as I don't have access to my office right now.

No new policies for minor streets.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The last community I worked for did the same as what Dan posted above. They based the 9" sign on posted speed limits though, with higher design speed roadways getting the larger signs.