• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Streetwalls of Paris (photos and commentary)

abrowne

     
Funny you should post those... I just acquired that book about a month back or so. It is very reasonable if you buy it from Amazon. Wonderful profiles of, as the title says, great streets from around the world.

ablarc

     
abrowne said:
Funny you should post those... I just acquired that book about a month back or so. It is very reasonable if you buy it from Amazon. Wonderful profiles of, as the title says, great streets from around the world.
I found a dusty book in the university library; published in 1920, it was titled simply, "City Planning." It was full of drawings like those. That's what City Planning was in those days, before it got taken over by the present crowd and turned into Suburb Planning.

The One

Cyburbian
Ok.....

I've taken another look at these photo's.....being Friday and all.....FANTASTIC SHOTS by the way:-D

1. Not enough hotties in these pictures, band geeks don't count:r: .....remember who your audience is....most of us are one step above the basic dishwasher in needing incentive to look at buildings.....;) :r: (just a little bad humor for a Friday)

2. WITH STREET WALLS LIKE THOSE, WHO NEEDS OPEN SPACE!!

Nuff Said:-D

MM1648

Cyburbian
Fascinating pictures. I actually learned alot about the structures/architecture, and the street design with pedestrian/car traffic. Very good job!

Paris is a beautiful city, but I have to say I found it exhausting to walk in. Maybe it's the scale of the city, or how much there is to take in architecturally and otherwise, but I'm more inclined to think it's the traffic and sidewalk crowding. I like the medieval a lot more than the boulevards, personally. Give me Amsterdam any day of the week!

Streetwalls of Paris

Here we are in 2009 and the pictures of Paris are gone, or at least I am getting little boxes with a red x inside. Any chance of seeing them?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator note:
Some of the images in threads by [user]ablarc[/user] were either removed from or changed location on his Web hosting account. I saved most of the images from his older threads, and can upload them to the Cyburbia gallery, and edit the original post so they reappear here. It'll take a bit of time, though.

Hey, nice! I really miss those ablarc threads from a few years back. Great photos, well organized, thought-provoking commentary. He would really get people talking. I guess he gave up on planners.

Another Example

I think another city that has some street that are very influenced by Paris would be Boston. Especially the Back Bay neighborhood and Commonwealth Avenue.
Newbury Street, Boston http://goo.gl/H5Cb6K