• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Strengths & Weaknesses of SO's

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Division of labor is a big part of running a household and the assignment of responsibilities based on individual strengths and weaknesses is important

If there's a problem with insurance billing, dealing with the IRS, or some other administrative thing that requires advocating a particular point of view (as opposed to being objective and seeing all sides of an issue) the go-to person in our household to handle such matters is Mrs. Maister. This capacity of hers to argue a point by emphasizing the strength of her position and finding the weakness in others' is of course critical to her being an attorney and comes in quite handy when being audited. On the other hand, this same ability/inclination is a positive impediment when it comes to things like creative problem solving, brainstorming, or situations that require receiving input from multiple individuals. If there are situations that require maintaining good relationships and/or diplomacy I'm usually the go-to guy.

Car problems? go to me ...largely based on my gender and the fact that I grew up in a household with a father having an automotive engineering background. But this doesn't mean I have any particular skill or aptitude for this.

Household repair? Neither. It's usually a battle to see who can most effectively avoid this responsibility

Yard maintenance/gardening? - Me. She plants flowers in the spring. I do everything else.

Organizing anything? Mrs. Maister

Any task requiring creative or aesthetic judgements? Me

Doing a task that requires dogged persistence? Mrs. Maister

Decision making? It's a bit complicated, but ultimately me.

--------------------------------------------

What are the tasks you depend on your SO to do and for what responsibilities are you the go-to?

How does household shopping occur - who devises lists and who physically shops?

If a camping expedition was planned how would that play out?

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Holy carp, Maister.

Are you/your wife and my wife/me unknowingly dopplegangers?

The categories and outcomes you describe for your relationship is almost exactly like my relationship with my wife.

Now for other categories:

Playing with the boys - Me

Driving (especially long distances) in inclement weather - Me

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Holy carp, Maister.

Are you/your wife and my wife/I unknowingly dopplegangers?

The categories and outcomes you describe for your relationship is almost exactly like my relationship with my wife.

Now for other categories:

Playing with the boys - Me

Driving (especially long distances) in inclement weather - Me
Wow, same here with your additions.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Grocery shopping planning/execution - typically my wife as she's most available during the week days right now and she's most willing to drive to several stores to buy specific products not available at one store.

Camping trip - we'll plan that together, but we've both discovered that we'd rather stay at a clean 2 star motel than camp in a cramped campground with people 10 feet away on adjacent sites and through thin vinyl tenting.

Clothes shopping for the boys - my wife does it mainly because of her greater availability during the week days but she really dislikes it.

Clothes shopping for herself - I have to accompany her as she generally hates it and needs external validation/assistance to make a decision

Clothes shopping for myself - I take care of it as I know what I want and need and I generally don't like other people buying clothes for me without my input, especially work dress clothes.

Emotionally comforting the boys especially after one gets upset about...whatever - my wife is better at it then me as I can be a bit gruff about 'getting over it' and try to unemotionally give them perspective regarding the practical reality of the 'importance' of their reaction to...whatever.

Driving (long or short distances) in nice weather - about 50/50 as I really enjoy not driving, whenever possible, to church or across the County to shop in the nearest shopping area in the neighboring County or to another state.

Last edited:

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I'm definitely a lot more assertive than CCG. I'm also the primary income earner. He has said of his own volition that since I bring in the majority of the resources, it's his responsibility to do more around the house. (Unfortunately, he said it in front of some friends that are stay-at-home moms. Haha.)

For anything that requires interacting with other people: me
For anything that requires a lot of patience: him
Problem-solving: usually I come up with the solution, he makes it happen. He's very good at pointing out issues. Not as good as finding constructive solutions. ;)
Outdoor work: him
Driving: me
Planning things: me
Organizing things: him
Money/budgeting: so far me, but I think we're going to try to figure out how to collaborate on that better especially once he quits his job to go to school
Food stuff: me, but he wants to work to take over some of that
Taking initiative: almost always me

kjel

Super Moderator
Husband is responsible for cleaning the bathroom and kitchen, doing his own grocery shopping and cooking his own food as he is picky, and doing his own laundry plus bedding and towels. He gets an allowance and that's the extent of his involvement in finances. We split the drop off/pick up to the sitter or school for Bella.

RT & I take care of everything else involved with running a household and managing a little person.

DVD

Cyburbian
Cooking, cleaning, running the house and the budget goes to the wife.
Fixing things goes to me.
Driving actually goes to my wife. I can do it, but she enjoys it.
Playing with the kids is all me.
Planning stuff, her
Spontaneous stuff, me

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Cooking- Me
Finances - me
Outdoor work - me
Cleaning - mostly me (folding laundry is her)
Getting the kids ready in the morning and getting them to school - me
Picking the kids up from school - her
Walking the dog - me
Grocery shopping - me since I also plan the meals
Driving - me (but she offers)

Anything medical related - her
Picking out kids clothes - her

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Cooking- Me
Finances - me
Outdoor work - me
Cleaning - mostly me (folding laundry is her)
Getting the kids ready in the morning and getting them to school - me
Picking the kids up from school - her
Walking the dog - me
Grocery shopping - me since I also plan the meals
Driving - me (but she offers)

Anything medical related - her
Picking out kids clothes - her
Looks like you're waiting on her hand and foot. She's got you trained well!;)
Related image

Last edited:

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Household cleaning - it's about 50% him, 50% me because he's almost always home on Friday afternoons when the kids have "chore day" so supervises their work. I wash bedding, towels, etc. And we each do one of our own "household chores" on chore day, with the kids.
Grocery shopping and meal planning - I'd say it's like 65% me, 35% my fiance
Finances - we talk about things but I manage the bills so I'd say 97% me
Outdoor work - actually not really either of us because a gardener mows the lawn, somehow the landscaping in front gets enough water, and we haven't planted anything ourselves since we moved in last winter.
Car maintenance - he did change my oil and brakes last summer but typically we just let experts deal with it
Pet care - I take care of the fish tank. He takes care of feeding the cat, and two of our boys take care of the litter.
Organizing - more me
Creative stuff - more him
Driving - more him, but usually whoever feels less tired of driving/chaperoning
Playing with kids - maybe a little more him but it feels about 50/50 overall

If we planned a camping trip it would be 95% me organizing, shopping, and packing because I love camping a lot more than he does. But when we go on regular trips it's about 60% me organizing and planning.

shell_waster

Cyburbian
Grocery shopping: We make the list together (thank you Anylist app), she begrudgingly does the shopping
Laundry: She does hers, I do mine, and we both do daughters
House cleaning: I prefer to pick up daily and she deep cleans occasionally
Cooking: She does indoor cooking during the week and I clean the kitchen after dinner. I do all outdoor cooking.
Loading/Unloading dishwasher: me
Household finances: I do those as I'm meticulous about balancing the accounts
Yard work: me
House repair/work: me, but I did convince her to help remove and paint shutters last summer and she reminds me of that often.
Car repair: me
Trip planning: me. Usually her decision to go somewhere and my responsibility to make it happen.
Help with homework: both
Clothes shopping for daughter: her
Driving anywhere: me, her driving scares me

I have no complaints whatsoever