• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Strong City Manager or Strong City Mayor

michaelskis

Cyburbian
99% of the time I agree, but I have met a few mayors that operate more like a City Manager.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
I agree with NHPlanner - I always would want to report to a professional and not an elected official

Planit

Cyburbian
Manager form is a much preferred administrative structure. Municipalities are generally non-partisan boards & mayor. Managers provide a great buffer between politicians & professional staff.

I have worked in jurisdictions where the electeds are approachable and also where the electeds didn't want to even knew staff existed. In both cases, managers were good for different reasons.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Manager no doubt. A mayor is just someone who won a popularity contest.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I worked for both a manager-council and mayor-council form of government. At my current jurisdiction, it is a manager-council form of government we have had a strong confident manager who clearly defined his role and had confidence in staff to carry out policies that he set. We also had managers (interim and permanent) who lacked confidence in themselves and leaned on the elected officals for day to day guidance and as result tended to micromanaged staff and questioned day to day task. I prefer clear consistent policy and the confidence that as a professional planner that I will operate under those expectations. The mayor-council form of government was a dicey situation for me as I answered to a town administrator who felt like he was a town manager and sometimes his direction differed from the mayor-council that hired me and to whom he and I both were responsible to.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
I worked for both a manager-council and mayor-council form of government. At my current jurisdiction, it is a manager-council form of government we have had a strong confident manager who clearly defined his role and had confidence in staff to carry out policies that he set. We also had managers (interim and permanent) who lacked confidence in themselves and leaned on the elected officals for day to day guidance and as result tended to micromanaged staff and questioned day to day task. I prefer clear consistent policy and the confidence that as a professional planner that I will operate under those expectations.
This is the most important answer to this thread's question.

I currently work for a strong mayor - council setup and the Mayor is the 'CEO', but the City Code dictates specific roles and responsibilities devolving on the Dept heads. This is the first strong mayor I've worked under and it works, right now, with this specific person. But I am an exempt employee and have this job at the pleasure of the Mayor and we all know what that means...potentially.

I've worked under City Managers (Manager-Council setups) that I would emulate professionally and others I would not, so I'm not sold on a 'best' system for me, but certainly want to know the person I report to directly or indirectly.

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Working under a strong-mayor form of government is a major reason why I left my last job. It had nothing to do with the person specifically but just the fact that we were this large city and being run by someone with no expertise in government just led to too issues for me. So I headed south and became a deputy city manager so I wouldn't have to deal with that anymore. :D

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
There is a little more to it because there is variation in the council-manager form. Under the city manager form it truly flows through the city manager and the council works through them. In the city administrator form you have a lot of variation in terms of how strong the mayor is, especially in smaller towns. You can have a long time mayor who knows a lot learned over the years with a newer administrator. Or you can have ones where the mayor just runs the council meetings and makes some appearances.