• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Stuck On You: Ever Collect These WACKY Stickers?

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
my favorite was "screaming yellow zonkers" box and all the crazy things it said on the box...took a certain attitude to understand the humor

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Yeah, I collected them as a kid. I loved them. They were a nickle a pack back in 1973. One day at the local carry-out, the phone booth outside the store wasn't working properly, so whenever someone made a call, their change (and then some) would be returned, even if the call connected. Of course, the caller didn't know this, so us kids just waited for them to leave and we took turns getting the 10 or 15 cents in the coin return and then going into the store and buying Wacky Packages with it.

We also got them by "bottling": Going around to the construction sites and collecting glass soda bottles for 5 cents return. (Our neighborhood was new then and all the new homesites would be strewn with bottles at the end of the day)

I remember having almost the complete set from that year except Livirus - which was a mouthwash that had dead fish skeletons in it. That was the hardest cards to get.

Others I remember from that year are Liptorn (Lipton), Burpsi Cola, 6-Up ("It hates you and you hate it").

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Oh My!!! I completely forgot about those things. They were the obvious inspiration for Grabage Pail Kids. That site is really cool. It is like taking a stroll down memory lane.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I had so many of those things. In grade school in the 70s, we'd go across the street to Bill's market and buy them all the time. Wow, that reminds me of buying another product there - Rondo Soda. Anyone remember that?