• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Student Parking Demand

jalapeno1

Is anyone aware of any studies relating to parking demand at privately-owned student housing facilities in close proximity to a college campus? I'm interested in determining the parking need for residents of off-campus apartments and private dormitories as opposed to on-campus facilties. Thanks.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
While I do not have a study for you, I can tell you that we require two stalls for an efficiency or one-bedroom, three stalls for a two-bedroom, and four stalls for a three-bedroom unit. The problem we find is that almost every student has a car, and it is especially bad when they are over-occupied. At times we have used parking as a limiting factor to try to control occupancy. If there are only two parking spaces (with no on-street parking) it is less attractive to have three or more students in a unit. The other problem we sometimes get is students parking on lawns, but frequent citations seem to curb this pretty quickly at the beginning of the year.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
The City of Seattle Washington has separate parking standards for their University Area. The calculation form is on-line.