• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Study: Larger Commutes Mean Larger Waistlines

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Found this article at CNN this morning...interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/05/31/fat.drivers.ap/index.html
Another reason to be glad I live pretty close to the office. Although most of the folks I know who have long commutes spend the drive time consuming copious amounts of coffee, so that by the time they get to work they can't sit still, which I would think would work off some extra calories.

Wulf9

Zoning Goddess said:
Another reason to be glad I live pretty close to the office. Although most of the folks I know who have long commutes spend the drive time consuming copious amounts of coffee, so that by the time they get to work they can't sit still, which I would think would work off some extra calories.
If they stopped by Starbucks for a medium mocha on their way to work, they got a calorie count equal to a Big Mac. A mocha and a pastry is like eating a Big Mac meal. Watch what you drink on that commute.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
...and make sure you don't eat anything, if possible.

I don't eat or drink anything during my loong commute and I'm pretty sure it has helped me keep off unnecessary weight.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
It might just be a function of lost time. Its not just the stereotypical, lazy suburbanite factor, its that if you spend 2 hours a day commuting (by car or train) you have less time leftover for exercise.

JNL

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
...and make sure you don't eat anything, if possible.

I don't eat or drink anything during my loong commute and I'm pretty sure it has helped me keep off unnecessary weight.
Surely water and fruit wouldn't do you any harm. If you felt the need for refreshment on a long commute.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
JNL said:
Surely water and fruit wouldn't do you any harm. If you felt the need for refreshment on a long commute.
True

I was mainly thinking in terms of the normal junk that most people eat/drink.

Also, I think the link between obesity and constant auto use is more a function of greatly decreased activity levels. If you have a long commute and also have to drive to do errands for daily needs (groceries, etc.) than one is burning fewer calories than if walking or biking were a part of one's daily routine (and not just exercise for exercise sake)