• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Stupid Bumper Stickers

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What's your city's bumper sticker?

In a thread on a different bulletin baord, it was said that a city could be defined in the hairstyles that are popular there. St. Louis has the 1970s afro, Denver has yuppie power hair and Buffalo has the AutoZone groder mullet. In my opinion, cities also seem to have distinctive bumper stickers.

I always noticed this when I lived in Buffalo, where a multitude of cars had one of these sayings plastered on the back bumper:

PRAY THE ROSARY DAILY

PRAY TO THE VIRGIN MARY

LOCAL #(some three digit number here)

ABORTION IS MURDER!

When I moved to New Mexico after I graduated from college, I could always tell when a vehicle was owned by someone from Alamogordo. There was usually one of these on the back:

THEY'LL GET MY GUN WHEN THEY PRY IT FROM MY COLD, DEAD HAND

JET NOISE - SOUND OF FREEDOM

JESUS CHRIST IS LORD OVER ALAMOGORDO

Back in Las Cruces, though, the tone was a bit different.

In Denver, these were everywhere:

Every other truck in "the town next door" has this in the back window:

So, what bumper sticker screams your town?

New Orleans: Proud to Call It Home

Ya Mama Was Pro-Life Dahlin

It's Not the Heat; It's the Humidity Stupid (or something like that)

My Child is an Honor Roll Student at (insert school name here)

JivecitySTL

Cyburbian
Common St. Louis bumper stickers:

BUY BLACK

I Love Allah

Eat-Rite or Don't Eat at All

My Kid Got Your Honor Student Pregnant

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Natural Law Party for Problem Free Government

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Here in the DC metro area I dont see that many bumper stickers that one could say "is DC" but now it seems EVERYONE has their college sticker in the back window of their car. Yale, and Harvard seem to be the main ones. Im starting to wonder if I did not move to New England and missed DC all together.

Penn State
Yale
Harvard
NYU
Georgetown *at least this one is local*

Heck even the tags for your car can be ordered with school logos from U's that are out of state!

Can we say transient area?

D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
No one dares to deface their Navigator or SLK with a sticker.

El Feo

Cyburbian
My faves from around the country...

From Louisville, KY:

"ear x-tacy" (a local record store) - popular variations require buying several, cutting them up, and spelling your own message such as "eat a rat" or "tax a cat"

From Conyers, GA, home of several sightings of the Virgin Mary over the years:

Conyers, GA - Eat, Drink and See Mary

From Atlanta, GA (and other parts SE, I imagine):

"We Don't Care How You Did It Up North"

"You're Welcome to Live Here, But Don't Marry Our Daughters"

Habanero

Cyburbian
My current city-

With the current economic outlook of the city, only having 30 days left in the general fund (an just one more reason for my jump to another state)...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SHOP PLANO!!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Another current favorite in Milwaukee:

"Bring Major League Baseball Back to Milwaukee" Esp. harsh since the All Star Game is in town this week.

BTW Jeff - I saw a Wolski's sticker in Boston and was laughing so hard I almost stepped into traffic.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Growing up in L.A. ... This one is my fave:

In n Out Burger bumper sticker that everyone cuts up to say In n' Out urge. The defining bumper sticker of my youth.

The only one that stands out in Edmonton (in areas around the huge-ass mall) is "If it's Tourist Season, can we shoot them?".

Otis

Cyburbian
It's summer vacation time and the idiots are on the road. Saw a car from Texas yesterday with a bumper sticker that said, "If you ain't from Texas, you ain't sh*t." So that means if you are from Texas, you are sh*t. They didn't quite think that one through. Any other winners out there?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have noticed a lot of the new FAC posts have been covered already. Are we actually out of non-planning stuff to talk about? Maybe we need to brainstorm and think of more some fun topics.

SGB

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I have noticed a lot of the new FAC posts have been covered already. Are we actually out of non-planning stuff to talk about? Maybe we need to brainstorm and think of more some fun topics.
There's still lots of things to discuss. Just remember to use the forum search engine at the Cyburbia home page to see what's been covered in past threads.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Seen in western North Carolina a few years back:

If it ain't King James it ain't Bible!

Utterly horrifying!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Frequently seen in North Idaho:

Earth First!! We'll log the rest of the planets later.

donk

Cyburbian
from dazed and confused

gas, grass, cash or a$$
no one rides for free

Maroon

Cyburbian
Not a bumper sticker, but...

Here in Lexington, KY, every other car/SUV has a front license plate with the owner's initials in nautical flags.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Since moving to PA I've noticed that every other SUV has an OBX Outer Banks, NC sticker plastered on the back - Seems odd. I would never think to advertise where I went on vacation, especially since it appears that everyone else went there as well.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Last I checked, I was Catholic and pro-choice.

Well, not so much "pro-choice" as "pro-quit-beating-a-dead-horse."

H

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
Last I checked, I was Catholic and pro-choice.

Well, not so much "pro-choice" as "pro-quit-beating-a-dead-horse."
????

I never heard the Pope okay abortion?

jordanb

Cyburbian
Huston wrote:
I never heard the Pope okay abortion?
The pope's not okay with rubbers ether, what's your point?

I'd also go so far as to posit that the pope wasn't OK with Kennedy banging actresses.

Believe it or not, people can be catholic and still think for themselves.

H

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Keep in mind that we're talking about stupid bumper stickers here.........
I was responding to Jordanb’s post not the bumper sticker, and yes I see your point, it’s off topic.

So….

Fin on that subject.

Sorry Jordanb, but I don’t want a religious argument. Maybe later…

jordanb said:
The pope's not okay with rubbers ether, what's your point?

I'd also go so far as to posit that the pope wasn't OK with Kennedy banging actresses.

Believe it or not, people can be catholic and still think for themselves.
Mod Note: Please either stay on topic or start a new thread.

H

Cyburbian
Ps…

My original response to Plandarella’s bumber sticker post was just a lighthearted joke, and was not to be taken so seriously.

Sorry ‘bout that.

I will smack my self on the wrist ;)

jordanb

Cyburbian
There's no chance of a debate, with me involved at any rate. I've said my peace.

So to get it back somewhat on topic, my favorite bumper sticker had red lettering which said "If this text is blue, you're going too fast."

Certanly not stupid by any means, but great. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
jordanb said:
...my favorite bumper sticker had red lettering which said "If this text is blue, you're going too fast.
I get it, but damn it man that is what forward shields are for!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jordanb said:
There's no chance of a debate, with me involved at any rate. I've said my peace.
Actually, there's no chance of a debate with you because every time someone engages you in one, you slither back under your rock until the next time you want to troll for responses.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Heh. I've never seen someone get mad at my refusal to get in a flamewar before. That's pretty funny.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
There are SO many stupid bumper stickers out there. How about those stupid "I'm a Princess" ones that all the yuppie girls are sporting these days?

"Princess Power"
"Princess on Board"
"Princess behind wheel"

Go #$% a frog.

Is there already a thread with cool bumper stickers? We should talk about those instead.

donk

Cyburbian
Don't think this one has been posted yet:

caution: this car stops at garage sales

My favourite one, on a friend's mid 60's fairlane - horn broken driver uses finger