• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

subdivision and marinas

Mary

I've got an ordiance on the books I've not seen before so I decide to see if anyone has any comments or knows of communities doing the same thing.

The ordiance requires that marinas plat if they are new or make any expansions. The unusual part is not only this but that the plat is specifically required to provide information like specific dock and slip locations, they also have to provide the location of all buildings to show that they are not more than 250 feet from a water source for fire protection.

I don't object to all the regulations but I am hearing acusations of unfair treatments so I decided to see if anyone is doing the same thing.

Thank you.

Budgie

Cyburbian
We've just completed a Unified Development Code for Lake Lotawana, Missouri that has numerous provisions concerning docks, slips and other private marina facilities.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm not sure I understand this... do you mean that a marina has to plat in order to have various slips? So the marina can't be under one ownership, but rather acts like a condo on water? I've never seen anything like this... but maybe I'm not understanding exactly what your ordinance requires.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
A "plat" does not necessarily have be a subdivision. We require land to be platted for development, even single parcels. It is a state-wide attempt to eliminate metes and bounds descriptions. And it makes the surveyors happy. Mary, it sounds as if there were a boat fire in the vicinity of your community in recent history.

nerudite

Cyburbian
mike gurnee said:
A "plat" does not necessarily have be a subdivision. We require land to be platted for development, even single parcels.
I see... this question makes more sense now.

Mary

The boat fire was in 1988 but did some truely impressive damage as the memory has gotten farther away and the marinas in the area are putting on presure to never have to go through a platting process we are now having questions about the ordiance section and it's validity.

Budgie could I get a copy of your ordiance??

tsc

Cyburbian
we have marina that is a "dockminium". We have tons of regulations for waterfront districts. I can look into further restrictions regarding requirements for marina site plan developement