• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Subdivision vs. addition

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
In my experience, an addition is just a word in a title or description. Not a legal term like subdivision.
Agreed. Within the context of subdividing land next to and into an existing subdivision and using the same subdivision name, it's a subdivision of land to add to Green Acres Village.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
My town uses addition like a bad phasing plan. Green Acres, Green Acres addition, Green Acres 2nd addition... Each one is a new subdivision.

Gedunker

Mod
My sense with developers is it's only an addition around here if the first subdivision is successful and they want to continue to cash in on the name/proximity. Otherwise, it gets a new name.

Semantics, but possibly philosophical

Except for the fact that in many places, "subdivision" has a specific meaning per the code, I think it's largely semantic.
I did notice once, though, that around the early 1950s (the time when car-oriented suburban development really took off) that plats here in Houston started changing their subtitles from "an addition to the City of Houston" to "a subdivision in the City of Houston." Maybe I'm reading too much into the word choice, but it was notable to me.