• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Subdivsion waivers

I have been asked by elected officials to create a pre-waiver provision for our subdivision ordinance. In other words a process whereby an applicant would not have to spend money with a surveyor to see what provisions of the subdivsion ordinance could be waived. We already have waiver provisions following an application, but nothing like this. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this matter

SGB

Cyburbian
I've seen subdivision codes that allow developers to request waivers with a preliminary application, but I don't think I've seen a pre-app process.

How would a board determine if a waiver is warranted without seeing at least a conceptual design of the subdivision?

That is the big question. I am looking at requiring that a person who would ask this present at least a sketch drawn to scale of what they propose to do.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The PA Municipalities Planning Code does not allow you to require a sketch plan.

Additionally, I would be very skeptical of requiring a set of plans (even if only a sketch) for something that may not be approved. You are putting a potentially unnecessary expense on an applicant.

Plus, I can see it now....applicants requesting a waiver of the requirements to provide a sketch plan illustrating a requested waiver.

I am specifically not calling this a sketch plan to avoid any confusion. I have stated that this provision does not start the 90 day review clock. The supposed intent is for a person off the street to be able to secure some type of waiver from certain portions of the regulations prior to securing the services of a surveyor or spending money. Consequently, I am asking for some type of drawing to scale of what is being proposed, but it does not have to be done by a surveyor. I have also proposed that the "pre-application waiver" if approved by the planning commission be valid for only 90 days. I have also suggested this be applicable only to minor subdivisions (under 7 lots). We already provide normal waiver provisions for applicants after they have filed their plans and applciation.