• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Subject, Subject, Subject

Stockton

Hi!~
My name is Brian. I'm 17 and live in Kansas City.
I come to Cyburbia about once per week, just to lurk, usually in the Cities and Places and Friday Afternoon Club forums. I also lurk (and sometimes post) at Skyscraperpage.com's forums and KCskyscrapers.com's forums.
I'm aware that Dan (hi Dan!) is the administrator and that he lives in Kansas City. I find most of Dan's post interesting and enjoy reading them. He makes very good and accurate observations in general, and of detail. However, at KCskyscrapers.com's forums, Dan's input isn't appreciated as much as it should be. I assume that's why he doesn't post their very often.

Anyway,
I want to know what you Cyburbanites think of the following automobile brands and their drivers:

Audi-
BMW-
Mercedes-Benz-
Saab-
Volvo-

Also, what kind of car do you drive?

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Stockton said:

Anyway,
I want to know what you Cyburbanites think of the following automobile brands and their drivers:

Audi-
BMW-
Mercedes-Benz-
Saab-
Volvo-

Also, what kind of car do you drive?
VW, man. It's all about the aircooled!

Audi-pretentious former vw owners
bmw-pretentious former audi owners
benz-pretentious former bmw owers
sabb-for the crazy and quirky among us
volvo-safety conscious and uber-conservative

Stockton

Re: Re: Subject, Subject, Subject

ilikefish0 said:
VW, man. It's all about the aircooled!

Audi-pretentious former vw owners
bmw-pretentious former audi owners
benz-pretentious former bmw owers
sabb-for the crazy and quirky among us
volvo-safety conscious and uber-conservative
You drive a VW, eh? Looks like you're next car is going to be an Audi. ;) (Would have inserted wink smiley, but don't know how.)

I like how you described the drivers!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'd pretty much generalize them all ('cept the Volvos) as pretentious city-folk. Travel to the country or small towns, and you will hardly ever see anyone with one of these.

In less than a week I will be picking up my new 2004 Subaru Legacy Outback, "the guilt-free SUV."

H

Cyburbian
Audi - don’t they break down a lot? I don’t see these very often.

BMW - my dad’ s fiancé drives one (convertible). Its fun to drive, but I don’t think it is worth the $. I think this is the car people often purchase as there first “hey look at me, I made it!” car.

Mercedes-Benz - My mom drives one now and my dad drove one the entire time I was growing up. I think they are excellent cars and worth the money. I think they are the ultimate successful conservative car. Not too flashy, practical (built like tanks), and nice.

Saab - Both my bosses drive one. They are the nuevo yuppie trendy type, and I think the saab is the poster car for this personality.

Volvo - The semi-cool and very-safe car. If the car is new they are most likely a suburban mom and if the car is old, they are kinda the hippy. *then there is El Guapo, I guess you have your own category. ;) Oh, and my wife is looking at buying the wagon but she is NOT about to become suburban or a mom, so maybe I am just way off on this one.

I drive a Buick my gran ma gave me, so I fit none of these categories. And by the way, buicks are very nice, I think I will get another when that time comes.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
My though - conspicuous consumption

I would rather spend
what it would cost to purchase any of those
and dont forget the insurance
on family, vacation, and good causes.

I have fun driving a Saturn w/ a manual trans.

I drive a lovely "used-to-be-black-before-the-sandstorms-and-130-degree-heat-of-the-Mojave-Desert-scoured-and-blistered-most-of-the-paint-off" Corsica that is over 12 years old.

We are a one car family. My husband's other vehicle is a bicycle. My other vehicle is the city bus.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Uh, I think those area pretty much pretentious Yuppie Yankee vehicles, swarming all over the already overcrowded FL roads.

I drive a Honda CR-V.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I drive a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am, on the few occasions when I have to drive. I saved my money up in HS and bought what I thought was my best "bang for the buck." The money I saved rather than buying a Japanese car has since been spent on maintenance and repairs to the tune of $1,200, with another $2,000 done under warranty. Texas has such weak ass Lemon Laws! :(

I don't know what my next car will be, but I've always dreamed of getting a Triumph TR-3A. While I was saving for my car in HS I drove a 1957 MGA. I guess that's what gave me my love for classic British sports cars. Of the cars you listed earlier, the only one I really like is the Audi TT because it reminds me of the old "bathtub" style Porsches.

Wow, I kinda rambled on about cars, sorry! Anyway, welcome to the fray!

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I drive a lovely "used-to-be-black-before-the-sandstorms-and-130-degree-heat-of-the-Mojave-Desert-scoured-and-blistered-most-of-the-paint-off" Corsica that is over 12 years old.
Hey, I got one of those, too, a formerly white '92 V6. However, the fact that the car is turning from white to primer gray (with some new rust spots here and there) has more to do with the crappy GM paint job than the weather. A lot of GM's of this vintage have paint problems, so I'm betting your Corsica would look the same even if you owned it in Honolulu or Bora Bora.

martini

Cyburbian
Audi~Could be a BMW driver, but they have taste.
BMW~LOOK AT ME!
Mercedes~Yeah, I'm successful, but I'm not bragging all that hard.
Saab~Quirky, odd folk. Most likely Democrats, or a form of independent.
Volvo~Smarter than me, way safer, slow drivers

Subarus, that's all I can see myself driving. Unless I can afford a Land Rover Defender 90. We've got two in our family, A Legacy Wagon(Bronco Billy) that I drive, and an Impreza Outback(Lizzy) for my wife.

jordanb

Cyburbian
"Land Rover Defender 90"?! Jesus, that sounds like something they'd use to kill Iraqis.

BKM

Cyburbian
Subarus rock

Subaru Wagon=practicality plus awesome driving car!

I know I should, as jresta I believe put it, stop smoking the tail pipe, but I like driving, am very "restless" on weekends and would feel utterly lost without a car. Unless I won the lottery and moved to San Francisco, I would go batty out here in Solano County without one. I admire the purists who are "car-free," but...

My pretentious "dream car" would be an Audi S4.

The new BMWs have all the stylistic charm of the love child of a Pontiac and a Toyota Camry and require a 500 page owners manual to drive (the 7-series). The Z-4, while an improvement over the Z-3, still looks like a phallus on wheels.

Whenever I see a Volvo on the freeway, I automatically assume 15 mph below the posted speed limit, and, despite their safety consciousness, this speed always occurs in one of the left lanes.

biscuit

Cyburbian
martini said:
Subarus, that's all I can see myself driving. Unless I can afford a Land Rover Defender 90.
You'll have to be buying used. I heard - don't know if it's true - that Land Rover has stopped importing new Defender 90's into the US because they don't meet new safety standards (no airbags).

It's not environmental or "socially conscience" but Man, I would love to have one too.

donk

Cyburbian
Having been in the back of a 7 series, they are one sweet machine.

Even if I could afford one, there are other cars that are that expensive that I would prefer. (Jags come to mind)