• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Suburban Pac-man?

H

Cyburbian
I just saw the new Saturn suburban Pac-man commercial. Have ya'll seen this? I really think we should discuss....

boiker

Cyburbian
I laffed.. i enjoyed the creativity of the commercial.. havn't decided on the commentary of video games vs. suburban living and SUVs

BKM

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
I thought it was annoying. Another 60 seconds of my life wasted for some GD SUV.
Well, the REAL problem is that you were wasting more than sixty seconds watching the evil box (television) instead of surfing the net :)

(I have an excuse for posting at 9:35 my time-just got out of a meeting and was answering work-related e-mails and I decided to surf on the City's T-1 connection instead of my 56K at home :) )

H

Cyburbian
I think that the analogy of suburbia being our "playing field" is interesting. So many times car commercials show the open road, a mountain, a dessert, or even a "cool" intown neighborhood or urban environment. This commercial just says it straight, "here is our culture, this is what we do, we run errands in suburbia", and this is the vehicle to do it in.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I agree with H. It doesn't show the SUV going off road like Jeep commercials, it shows it running around town, which is more realistic, plus the commercial is funny. It seems that they are aiming for the mini-van crowd. Mini vans are one of the only commericals that show people hanging around in the driveway re-adjusting seats, putting groceries in the back, loading kids, watching DVDs and not driving, probably because there is no sugar coating the fact that driving a mini-van full of kids and dogs is not fun.