• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Suburban vs. Country Living

I have heard many an opionion about living in the suburbs. I myself have never lived in the suburbs but I have lived in the country.. and still we commuted for hours each day into the city. To prove that I was not living in the suburbs I will add that I lived on a small island, and commuted into a city on the mainland.

I would like to know what your choice would be if you had to choose between living in the country opposed to suburban living. Please give reasons for your choice. I am interested to hear opinions on this as I never hear mention of country living on any forums I visit!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Depends on your definition of "country," I guess. It really depends on the landscape, the property, and the overall population density of the area.

If by "country" you mean rural upstate New York, on a 40 acre plot of wooded, hilly land with a fishing stream, where I can reach the suburbs of Buffalo or Rochester within a half hour ... maybe. If it means being miles from anyplace, like a flat spread of land in Wyoming or Montana ... probably not.

I'm a very social person, but underneath the surface I'm quite shy. Hard to explain, really ... I just like having the option to retreat into my own world, and I can do that in the city as well as the country.

FWIW, I live in the 'burbs ... a three bedroom, two bathroom, 190m[sup]2[/sup] brick ranch house on a 1000m[sup]2[/sup] lot. Just me and my two dogs. I do prefer city living, but there's one thing I hate more than the suburbs, and that's a long commute. I work as a planner in a small, semi-rural exurban community. If I lived in a neighborhood with any sense of urbanity, I'd be looking at a 30 to 40 minute commute to and from work, at extra-legal speeds, seven times a week (five days plus two night meetings a week).

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I prefer the City. I like being close to downtown (Milwaukee) and within walking distance of several restaurants, bars, a grocery store, and my favorite record/cd store. I am also 2 blocks from a bike trail that goes downtown. I could see myself eventually living in an inner-ring suburb of Milwaukee, but I can't imagine ever living in a subdivision with no sidewalks where you have to drive to get to anything.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I try to balance both. I work in a small city, five minutes to the office, 45 minutes to Madison or Milwaukee. I live on the edge of town in an old farmhouse on 240 acres. It feels like the country. What do I like about it? It is peaceful, I don't feel crowded by neighbors, I have interesting wildlife wander into the yard every day. I have plenty of room for my workshops in the old farm buildings. I have already harvested a dozen different fruits and vegetables from my gardens. The house sits at the bottom of a hill, so I don't get to see the sun rise, but I do get great sunset views over 1/4 mile of farmland. Last night I was lulled to sleep by the soft mooing of a cow. Can't get that in the city.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Yeah, better re-phrase that one. How's this?

I nodded off to sleep to the melodious mooing of a holstien, her lullaby song carried on the breeze from the neighboring pasture into my home.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Michael Stumpf said:

I nodded off to sleep to the melodious mooing of a holstien, her lullaby song carried on the breeze from the neighboring pasture into my home.
You make your wife sleep in the neighbors pasture?!

Seriously... I like this little town of three thousand, 45 min from a decent size city, and 2 hours from major metro.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Fortunately, I'm not married. And if I keep this up, I may not have a girlfriend.

~~~~~~~~~~, isn't that small - 13,700 in the city itself, 40,000 within 15 miles of its center.