• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Success in Changing State Enabling Legislation?

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I am looking for examples of where, where, when and how coalitions of local officials, planners, citizens, etc worked together to successfully improve a state's planning, zoning, and or subdivision enabling legislation. My experience is almost entirely with the state legislatures making things worse and worse! Can any of you cyburbanites help me find a success story?

IdahoPlanner

Pennsylvania has made a number of changes over the past 5 years that involved 1000 Friends of PA and the PA Chapter of APA. You may want to contact those organizations for their perspectives on the process..

El Feo

Cyburbian
You might want to review the Wisconsin experience - if I recall correctly, they recently updated their planning legislation, and it involved the 1000 Friends of Wisconsin...though I've heard mixed reviews on the results. Jtforin, have I screwed this up??

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Correct about Wisconsin changing its legislation, although more than just 1000 Friends were involved. Add realtors, developers, etc. In some ways that helped save us from 1000 ideiological idiots who know nothing about planning.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wisconsin experience

To make matters worse, they threw it in as a rider on the biennial budget, and it got tore apart in conference committee. The end legislation was nothing like that proposed by WAPA.

At our district APA workshop, our leadership politely asked that we all support the flawed legislation, and not speak bad about it to the media, as it was bettter than nothing. GRRR