• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Suing over Zoning Ordinances Upheld

SGB

Cyburbian
Re: Suing of Zoning Ordinances Upheld

Huston said:
Suing of Zoning Ordinances Upheld in Miami Beach
Huh. And I always thought that plaintiffs and defendents had to be people.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
This ruling was on the right of the developer to take the city to court in a dispute over what it claims to be a 'taking' of its property (allowing it to construct just six stories instead of the twenty-four it wanted). Miami tried to claim immunity, which is a stretch of the concept. Without knowing the details of the case, similar "taking" claims have been ususally rejected by the courts. It will be interesting to see what happens with this one.

H

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Suing of Zoning Ordinances Upheld

SGB said:
Huh. And I always thought that plaintiffs and defendents had to be people.
The city is the "people" in this case.

Ps. I changed the title in case you where just being "smart"

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Quote from the article: "Olin said the city faces eight lawsuits filed by property owners who claim it attempted to thwart their development rights by imposing restrictive zoning regulations."

Stupid me, I thought zoning regulations were supposed to be restrictive. What definition of zoning have I been using?

SGB

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Suing of Zoning Ordinances Upheld

Huston said:
Ps. I changed the title in case you where just being "smart"
Guilty as charged. Newly imposed dietary restrictions are making me grumpy. Sorry.

H

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Suing of Zoning Ordinances Upheld

SGB said:
Guilty as charged. Newly imposed dietary restrictions are making me grumpy. Sorry.
No problem, you where right on that one, anyway. :)