• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Summer Vacation Plans

In our office, we have an annual scramble to see who can get their summer vacation schedule in first. Considering that we all have at least 8 weeks of available vacation time, summers are a pretty empty time around here.

Unfortunately, our summer vacation seems to be dedicated to travelling around the Northeast for weddings, showers and concert performances. However, we're trying to fit in interesting little side trips on our way to Buffalo, Rochester and Montreal.

Where are you going this summer?

The only plan I have for the summer is to work through it so that I can have enough vacation time accrued to take off for my wedding.

otterpop

Cyburbian
In the end of July we are planning to go to Glacier National Park for at least four days. Hoping too to get some rafting in, somewhere, somehow, with my rafting buddy. I wish I could go see my folks but the trip to Louisiana is cost prohibitive at this time, for us.

boiker

Cyburbian
vacation.. since I can't access my time yet, I think I'll spread 200 lbs of sand in my office, install a 1,000 watt light above my cube, erect a beach umbrella, sip on corona's w/ lime and watch a screen saver of the ocean on my computer.

I'll vacation for real in a couple years.

The One

Cyburbian
Fun in Mass.

I'll be spending a week in Cow Yard Massachusetts. Anyone been there?

IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE BETWEEN A VISIT TO NANTUCKET OR MARTHA'S VINEYARD, WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE AND WHY?

BKM

Cyburbian
I doubt I am taking a vacation per se. Instead, I use my vacation time for a lot of three day weekends, two hours off in the afternoon for a bicycle ride, etc. I have problems spending too much on vacations and then adjusting back psychologically to work :-\ So, this is a better, less disruptive way to waste my vacation time. :)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Saving vacation time for when the baby's born.....

Only real summer plans are to rent a convertable to drive down to my brother's wedding at the end of July.

otterpop said:
I wish I could go see my folks but the trip to Louisiana is cost prohibitive at this time, for us.
You don't want to come down here in the midst of hurricane season, which is predicted to be another active one. In fact, that would be my de facto vacation plan - evacuate for a hurricane.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
boiker said:
vacation.. since I can't access my time yet, I think I'll spread 200 lbs of sand in my office, install a 1,000 watt light above my cube, erect a beach umbrella, sip on corona's w/ lime and watch a screen saver of the ocean on my computer.
What about also including a small, inflatable pool? ;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Take the day off for my birthday in July.
Jersey Shore over a long Labor Day weekend. :-}

nerudite

Cyburbian
We just got back from a 10-day vacation, so no plans for going out of town. We'll be doing home improvement (painting!) and yard work trying to get the house and yard into shape after years of bad maintenance. We will be taking day trips with the kids in what is being coined as 'The World's Biggest Summer'... we're taking the kids to the various 'World's Biggest' roadside attractions in Alberta as our cheezy thing to do this year. You know, like the World's Biggest Easter Egg (Vegreville) or the World's Biggest Pyrogy. That kind of thing...

I'll also be taking off some time when my sister and some friends come up later this summer. Can't wait! :)

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
jestes said:
We are leaving this Saturday bound for Orlando and Mickey Mouse.
If you want to experience some very good fun with your family in real Florida, take the family to the Wekiva State Park and swim in the springs. Its on the north side of Orlando. Or go to Kelly Park, just north of Apopka to the immediate NW of Orlando to this County Park and visit the springs there. Natural lazy river. Get to either when they open at 9 cause once the parks fill up to their quota, no one else gets in. If you go to Kelly Park (also called Rock Springs Run), buy cheap noodles for everyone to float on.. Both are great places for picnics.
My kids when growing up loved going to the different springs to cool off and swim. These places are real Florida. Big oaks with Spanish moss hanging over the water...Enjoy.

Glasshouse

Cyburbian
I was late on my child support and as a result spent memorial weekend in the county jail. So I guess I had my vacation.

yipeee! great food to.

Bob

ludes98

Cyburbian
I am in a wedding in Concord, Mass in October. That is the only vacation time I have scheduled so far. We usually travel to the mountains in Arizona to escape the heat of summer at least a few times.

boiker

Cyburbian
Big Easy King said:
What about also including a small, inflatable pool? ;-)
/bad planner humor

as long as I can meet setbacks OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

/bad planner humor off

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Buying a point based timeshare...

Trendwest.

I should have plenty of opportunities!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Hopefully a lae-fest in Tallahassee next month.

Taking the kid and his friend back to Wild Adventures theme park in Valdosta (yes, leaving the ultimate land of theme parks - Orlando - for this). He will be at sleep-away camp for a week in June, so there's my other vacation.

Oh, and I think Sister Celeste and I are helping paint each other's kitchen cabinets.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I never take my vacation in the summer. If you wait until the kids are back in school, it's a lot less crowded.

Still hope to take a long weekend or two for various field trips.

donk

Cyburbian
What is this vacation thng you speak of?

There appears to be a discrepancy between human resources and my supervisor in when you are eligible and how much vacation you get. HR says you start accruing and can use immediately, supervisor expects me to work a year before I can take any (like that is going to happen).

On a serious note, when i left my last job they had to buy back almost 3 weeks worth of vacation, kind of scary considering I only got 3 weeks a year and never seemed to use it all up.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Mud Princess said:
I never take my vacation in the summer. If you wait until the kids are back in school, it's a lot less crowded.
The week after Labor Day is good in that way. :)
Couple of years ago, I was in Ocean City MD on the Tuesday night after Labor Day,
went to one of the boardwalk hotel's and got a room - with no reservations either.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
You forgot a day trip to Jax for a birthday party. :)

If you babysit, I'll paint the cabnits when I come home.

Zoning Goddess said:
Hopefully a lae-fest in Tallahassee next month.

Taking the kid and his friend back to Wild Adventures theme park in Valdosta (yes, leaving the ultimate land of theme parks - Orlando - for this). He will be at sleep-away camp for a week in June, so there's my other vacation.

Oh, and I think Sister Celeste and I are helping paint each other's kitchen cabinets.
I am going to go home to Fla for a couple of weeks. We are going to take the Mac to see the big Mouse for another gnome picture. I'll have to get some gnome pictures of him when we see the other Goddesses.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Irish One

I was all set to see Sonic Youth at the Troubadour in L.A. Seven minutes later 200 people got tickets and I'm bored again.

SGB

Cyburbian
It doesn't look like we'll be taking a summer vacation this year. :-\

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We're taking a week in August and heading up north to Mrs. Tranplanner's family cottage. I'll probably take another week in September or something and do some work on the house.

Probably take a half-day here and there over the next few weeks to catch some Euro 2004 matches - oh, and I'm off two days next week while JNL and Cardinal are in town.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Parft of the reason I'll miss the laefests:

1) Plan Commission meeting 15.6.2004; Redevelopment meeting 16.6.2004
2) Leaving for the gulf coast of 'Bama 20.6.2004 with return 25.6.2004. Fortunately, the little 'dunkers are good car-riders otherwise an 11-hour trip would be impossible.

Also, the kids and Mrs. G will be going to Santa Claus for a two-nighter in mid-July, so I'll be doing the bachelor thing. ;-)

TP who do you like in Euro '04?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Nothing much. Probably just going to use vacation time to do the home improvement stuff I don't have time to do. Going to Long Island this weekend (4+ hours) to visit relatives but one year olds don't like to be in the car too long so we'll see how that goes.

Queen B

Cyburbian
I am so Excited!!!

King B's dad decided that they are not going to use their time share this year and offered it to us.

His week this year. July 2-9 How sweet is that!

Now I just have to delay getting a job so I don't screw this deal up.

3 bed, 2.5 baths, and so far no takers on joining us.
I have a planner friend in AR that might come up.

It just sounds great to me!

http://www.valuevacationrentals.com/listings/index.cfm?drill=propDetail&mid=0&prop=3642&city=687&state=29&region=1

http://www.choice1.com/treetop_village.htm?CID=12714

http://www.ivacation.com/wr/images-tsr-2580.htm

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'll be taking a couple of days to spend with JNL and the other Cyburbians next week. For the remaining three-week balance I will be taking a cash payment when I leave here in July. I get three weeks to start at the new job, which is alright, but I would begin getting four weeks if I stayed here. I am probably going to use some of my time to coordinate a move once I buy a new Cardinal compound up in the foothills. After that, most likely short trips into the surrounding mountains.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'm taking a week, starting today at noon, to get myself one of these
;-)
I'm saving the rest of my vacation for a visit with my family in South Carolina at Christmas time and hopefully a trip to Spain sometime next spring.

On a much less positive note, the state appointed oversite board, whose job it is to get my city back into good financial shape, has recomended a reduction in the amount of vacation for city employees. If that passes (and lets all pray it doesn't), it means that I would only get one freaking week a year until I've been here four years.I know I should just be thankful that I have this job, but one week... that really blows. |-)

Dragon

Cyburbian
It appears I will be stuck in the office all summer long. I am earning vacation time, but can’t use it until after my first full year. :-#

I might use some sick days to make up a few three-day weekends and visit friends and my brother. :-D

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
We just got back from a 10 day vacation. We did three days in New Orleans, had lunch at Emeril's restaurant Nola's--great place, dinner a K Pauls. Walked down Boubon Street every nite, a couple of srippers threw me dwon some beads one nite, that was nice, I'm a bit older and greyer, but still got IT !!!!!
Then we were in Memphis--went to Graceland and Beale Street. Drove into Mississippi, down Highway 61 to Clarksdale to the Delta Blues Museum. Drove thru the crossroads where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil. ( most of us do that everyday). Came back early for a big wedding, where I drank a lot of wine and stayed up with the young people until 3 in morning drinking cheap beer.

that's it for the summer until september.

The One

Cyburbian
Seabishop

Seabishop said:
Nothing much. Probably just going to use vacation time to do the home improvement stuff I don't have time to do. Going to Long Island this weekend (4+ hours) to visit relatives but one year olds don't like to be in the car too long so we'll see how that goes.
Ever been to Cow Yard Mass.?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Gedunker said:
TP who do you like in Euro '04?
[OT] Well, I'm rooting for England (natch) - but I doubt they'll win it. France (ugh), maybe Italy or Holland look good. I'm sure the Portugeuse will have a strong run too.[/OT]

tsc

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Considering that we all have at least 8 weeks of available vacation time, summers are a pretty empty time around here.

Downtown...we all know upstate has only 2 weeks of summer..... ;-)

But even so...I am spending a week up in the north country... camping on an island in the Adirondacks. The boat is spending the summer in the fingerlakes...so I will probably visit on weekends whenever we can.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I'm going to spend a week in Maine and Massachusetts in July and then do a 10-day backpacking trip in the Canadian Rockies in August (Banff and Jasper).

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
We were looking forward to a trip north for the Toronto laefest, but we're still digging ourselves out of the wedding budget hole. :-# So the most exotic we can hope for for several more months anyway is a 2-3 day camping trip on the shores of Lake Michigan in August with a couple of friends from planning school. Maybe when it gets cooler (and cheaper), we'll take a bit more time.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Summer? Vacations? You're joking right?
Oh wait, that only aplies to you northies... Dang... I'm stuck here in winter, snow included and my WINTER vacations start around the 2nd week of July.. any plans? Spend them with my family in Valdivia... I need a break from smog :(

jordanb

Cyburbian
I'm too poor to go anywhere on vacation so I'll probably just use my time for exams at school and whatnot.