• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Summer Vacation

nerudite

Cyburbian
I just realized that I leave in exactly three weeks to go to Nova Scotia! I'm so excited! But how is it already June???

I haven't figured out what I want to do in Nova Scotia. I think I'll have two groups of freetime: 3 days with the boyfriend and 3 days by myself after he goes home. I haven't figured out what to do yet (haven't had time to think about vacation yet)... any suggestions?

In August I'll be going to Fairmont, B.C. for a week as well with the kids in tow. We are staying at a swank resort that we are subletting off a co-worker for next to nothing. Can't beat that!

Anyone else have some vacations coming up?

I may take a weekend trip to the Gulf Coast around Labor Day, but other than that, I have nothing planned.

donk

Cyburbian
my vacation plans are pretty tentative, but here they are

1) June 26-July 2 go to Ontario (Toronto and Caledon) for a wedding.
2) October 8-13 go to hamilton for road worlds, an event I strongly suggest even non cycling fans to attend as it is one of the biggest sporting events in the world.
3) The odd long weekend all summer. (reroofing house, refinishing floors in house)
4) Hopefully some trips for job interviews.

I second mastiff's few, I avoid taking too long of vacation as when I return the work load is such that it is not worth taking time off.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A few plans...

1. A few days off to go to the Worlds Largest Outdoor Music Festival (It's soo far away!) :)

2. A roadtrip out west to the bad lands and Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse monument, etc (postponed from last Fall).

3. Probably a long weekend at the Wisconsin Dells tourist hole from hell.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I just got back (or so it seems) from a two week vacation. We're renting a cottage up north, on Lake Nippissing, for a week in August. Other than that, just day trips...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am heading to Montana for a wedding at the end of summer and I hope to make it into a weeklong vacation to visit Glacier National Park.

Othrwise I am planning on a few small weekend getaways to go biking or just relax. Possibly Door County, WI and maybe a trip to the Elroy Sparta bicycle trail. Also a few weekend excursions to my parents place in Minocqua, WI (touristy "up-north" town, like in the movie "The Great Outdoors.")

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: A few plans...

Chet said:
3. Probably a long weekend at the Wisconsin Dells tourist hole from hell.
I went to the Wisconsin Dells and just loved it (when I was 16). We took some tour where you could walk into caves and down into little canyons. It was so pretty! I didn't even know that there was some other amusement park kind of area until I was older. I don't remember the Dells being that bad... is it all gross now?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Going to one of our companies "Guest Houses" in FL in January with the family and trainig partners. We're using it as a way to get alot of miles in on the bike when the competition will be sidelined by all the snow.

boo. saving time and money for after the baby gets here. so the occasional long weekend to go home to my parents, as long as I don't use all my comp time up for what I've come to affectionately call "vomit days". so no trips for us this summer.

SGB

Cyburbian
We're only doing a couple of long weekends, since I don't get any vacation time until I've been on the job for a year.

Looks like we'll do Boston for a wedding, and road trip to Pittsburg in August to take our son to see the Wiggles in concert.

boiker

Cyburbian
what vacation?

I won't be able to vacation until next summer when i'll attend my cousins wedding in so. cal.

kms

Cyburbian
We'll try to go to Chicoteague for about 4 days. Unfortunately, my kids' idea of fun is no longer the same as mine, so that will be about it for us.

BKM

Cyburbian
Sadly, I've been frittering away my vacation hours a little bit at a time-usually to go hiking or bicycling. No big vacations this summer. Don't wanna spend the money anyway :)

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I'm going to do some long weekend backpacking trips in New Hampshire and Maine this month and July. Then I'm thinking of taking a touristy trip around Quebec (Quebec City and Montreal) in early August to see that area.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Just a long weekend in NH in a few weeks. Maybe a road trip to Long Island in the fall. I'm trying to think of an excuse to go to Montreal but that will have to wait a year or two. Not exactly the wild cross-country treks I long for.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have three or four days alone in Nova Scotia (after 8 days of being there with the boyfriend and his family and before the three days in Halifax at the CIP conference). I can hop a cheap flight to Montreal, stay in Nova Scotia, go to New Brunswick or Maine, or take the ferry to Newfoundland. I don't know much about any of these places... I'm thinking about Newfoundland pretty seriously, although the thought of going to Montreal to see Reel Big Fish and hang out in a true world class city (sorry Edmonton) is very tempting. Decisions decisions decisions!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Re: Re: A few plans...

nerudite said:
I went to the Wisconsin Dells and just loved it (when I was 16). We took some tour where you could walk into caves and down into little canyons. It was so pretty! I didn't even know that there was some other amusement park kind of area until I was older. I don't remember the Dells being that bad... is it all gross now?
There are a lot of great natural areas in the dells, but the main attraction now is waterparks and indoor waterparks.

prudence

Cyburbian
In two weeks...

Going to the Dominican Republic (home of corked bats) for a week of fun in the sun...

Thinking of going to either Seattle or Philadelphia for the exhibition soccer matches...

Still have to figure out where to go to avoid the Harley celebration in August...anybody want a houseguest for a week???

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: In two weeks...

prudence said:

Thinking of going to either Seattle or Philadelphia for the exhibition soccer matches...

How you getting tix? I've been trying like a madman to get them.

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite,

Ferry trip to NFLD is not really an option, it is almost three days travel time, just getting to and being on the ferry.(1+ day there, 1 +day home) would be fun, but not much time for anything but travelling.

I'd suggest sight seeing in and around NS/PEI/ NB/Maine.

Montreal deserves more then 3 days also.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
donk said:
nerudite,

Ferry trip to NFLD is not really an option, it is almost three days travel time, just getting to and being on the ferry.(1+ day there, 1 +day home) would be fun, but not much time for anything but travelling.

I'd suggest sight seeing in and around NS/PEI/ NB/Maine.

Montreal deserves more then 3 days also.
Plus if you come to Maine, I'm sure Mary Poppins and I could show you around a bit! ;)

prudence

Cyburbian
Re: Re: In two weeks...

Mike D. said:
How you getting tix? I've been trying like a madman to get them.
I have a couple of friend swho work for the US National team...if they can't help, eBay...

prudence

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Plus if you come to Maine, I'm sure Mary Poppins and I could show you around a bit! ;)
I was in Portland last year...I didn't get an offer for personalized attention.

NHPlanner

Staff member
prudence said:
I was in Portland last year...I didn't get an offer for personalized attention.
That was because I was on my honeymoon around this time last year! :p

.....that and nerudite was more fun to hang out with in Denver than you were in Chicago. ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
NHPlanner said:
.....that and nerudite was more fun to hang out with in Denver than you were in Chicago. ;)
I'll second that! Prudence doesn't even have a "killing" sexual euphemism tagged to him yet. ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I'll second that! Prudence doesn't even have a "killing" sexual euphemism tagged to him yet. ;)
Oh god... I was wondering if the raging orgasm euphemism would haunt me. ;)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hmmm summer vacations... they're sure a long way off for me at least.... :( First the dull, cold and rainy winter... I wish I could emigrate to the US for the season :p

Ahhh I can almost feel the heat... wait that's the fire in the chimney :p

plankton

Cyburbian
Just returned from a week in Jackpot, NV. Won nada - but had fun sipping Margaritas poolside. Will be traveling to Detroit (Shelby Twp., I think) in September for my bro's wedding. Thinking of checking out Comerica Park and rooting on the tremendous Tigers!

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I haven't figured out what I want to do in Nova Scotia. I think I'll have two groups of freetime: 3 days with the boyfriend and 3 days by myself after he goes home. I haven't figured out what to do yet (haven't had time to think about vacation yet)... any suggestions?
I spent six weeks in NS and PEI back in 1990, and my wife and I spent part of our honeymoon in NS. It's one of my favorite places on earth. Suggestions: in Halifax, see the Citadel and the Maritime Museum; take the Dartmouth Ferry for great harbor views; walk the downtown (very walkable). Don't miss Peggy's Cove, with its frozen in time fishing village and lighthouse. We loved Annapolis Royal, with its historic fort and beautiful gardens. The Evangeline site in Grand Pre is interesting, and so is watching the tides come in and out; the tides there are the most variable in the world. Farther up, Antigonish is a beautiful village with a great college campus (St. Francis Xavier). We only visited the east half of Cape Breton Island, but I am told the national park on the west side of the island is one of the most breathtaking spots on earth. The Fortress of Louisbourg is very cool. Anywhere on the coasts is beautiful. If you get the chance, its worth it to take the ferry or the causeway to PEI. Charlottetown has a European feel, and there are many beautiful sites on the island.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Have a great time and post pictures when you get back.

Runner

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Anyone else have some vacations coming up?
Yup, I have time off from working for the city. However, as a homeowner and husband I have more than enough “honeydos” waiting. Largest project will be painting the garage.

This week was an unexpected water line break (of course between the meter and the house) that had to be fixed between workdays...

Next summer will be a real vacation :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I already took a week before Memorial Day to go out to Southeastern Utah. I am thinkijng of going up to Alaska at the end of August or early September, and I may head out to Utah again in October. Other than that, it will probably just be some long weekends, especially if I end up buying some land I am looking at out near the Elroy-Sparta Trail.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: Re: Summer Vacation

DecaturHawk said:
I spent six weeks in NS and PEI back in 1990, and my wife and I spent part of our honeymoon in NS. It's one of my favorite places on earth.
Wow...must be a popular planner honeymoon spot....as My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon there (the remainder in PEI) and Tranplanner and his wife honeymooned there last summer as well! :p

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Summer Vacation

DecaturHawk said:
I spent six weeks in NS and PEI back in 1990...
NS and PEI are very beautiful. I spent several weeks there in 1990 as well. Is the ferry to PEI still run out of the Port Elgin area? I really liked it there. I would love to go back. It is definitely a place for love, it is where I met my first love.

My summer vacation will start in about 6 1/2 weeks, but it will be spent partly in the hospital - giving birth.

donk

Cyburbian
The ferry is gone, we now have the confederation bridge.

I must be the only person in the entire world that HATES PEI. I hate the stupid red mud that gets into everything and is a pain to wash out, (even after 4 years), I hate the traffic (slow people dawdling), I hate the scenery, (once you've seen one potato field you've seen them all). I hate having to pay $37 for the bridge. The list could go on, and I am not to fond of anne of Green Gables.

The only good thing from PEI is seaman's pop and only being able to get glass bottles, which reminds me of something else I hate, the bottle deposit can be more then the contents.

tsc

Cyburbian
July can't come fast enough... although I am not fully prepared for vacation. We are taking 2 weeks...taking our boat from Cayuga Lake, up the Erie Canal...sailing across Lake Ontario.. to Canada... and poking around the 1,000 Islands.

We sail a 26 foot powersailer (has large outboard engine to motor fast)... and we are following a much larger 36 foot sailboat. Should be interesting.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
Suggestions: in Halifax, see the Citadel and the Maritime Museum; take the Dartmouth Ferry for great harbor views; walk the downtown (very walkable). Don't miss Peggy's Cove, with its frozen in time fishing village and lighthouse. We loved Annapolis Royal, with its historic fort and beautiful gardens. The Evangeline site in Grand Pre is interesting, and so is watching the tides come in and out; the tides there are the most variable in the world....
As my "location" states, I just got back from Nova Scotia last weekend. Halifax was a wonderful city - tons of restaurants, pubs, revitalized historic waterfront buildings, etc. I found the Maritime Museum more interesting than expected (perhaps because I'm so ignorant of Canadian history, and I learned a lot).

Actually we spent half our vacation on the eastern side of Cape Breton, which was remarkably quiet this time of year. It's perfect if you're into the outdoors - the hiking was beautiful - just watch out for the moose poop on the trail! :)

JNL

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
hmmm summer vacations... they're sure a long way off for me at least.... :( First the dull, cold and rainy winter...
Me too. What sort of temperatures are you having SkeLeton? We've been having around 12-16C, dropping to 8-10C at night. Not too bad yet. Where I live, winter temps are unlikely to drop below 0C although some parts of the country get a lot colder.

Looking out my window I can see grey skies and rain :(

But hey the ski fields open this weekend! :)

ts corbitt said:
July can't come fast enough... although I am not fully prepared for vacation. We are taking 2 weeks...taking our boat from Cayuga Lake, up the Erie Canal...sailing across Lake Ontario.. to Canada... and poking around the 1,000 Islands.

We sail a 26 foot powersailer (has large outboard engine to motor fast)... and we are following a much larger 36 foot sailboat. Should be interesting.
TS - oooh - lots of good wineries along your route!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
What sort of temperatures are you having SkeLeton?
hmm we're getting maximum 12ºC more or less, this morning I was greeted by a fantastic 2ºC chill...
Although for some weird reason it hasn't been too rainy (we have like a 50% deficit)

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Summer Vacation

NHPlanner said:
Wow...must be a popular planner honeymoon spot....
Yes, we spent three days there, taking the Yarmouth Ferry from Bar Harbor, Maine. Most of our 'moon was in Maine, where we fell in love with Portland and Acadia NP (we were there at the end of May/beginning of June and avoided the crowds). The Pemaquid Point Lighthouse was a highlight, as was nearby Shaw's Wharf, where we had fresh lobster, fries, salad and a beverage for $8.95.

Originally posted by Trail Nazi
NS and PEI are very beautiful. I spent several weeks there in 1990 as well. Is the ferry to PEI still run out of the Port Elgin? area?
I was there in February and March of 1990; I don't recommend visiting that time of year, but it was still beautiful. Back then, the Port Elgin Ferry was operating, and I will never forget breaking the ice on that trip (the crew let us on to the bridge, where we got a lesson on how to maneuver past the broken ice,it's really rather dangerous). I believe you can still take a ferry during the warm months to Wood Islands from Nova Scotia. I think that there are also ferries to Newfoundland and to the Iles de la Madeleine.

Originally posted by Donk
I must be the only person in the entire world that HATES PEI.
Donk, you must be lucky enough to live near the sea. For those of us that must be landlocked all year long, PEI is another world. I'm told that PEI is the one place in the world most like Ireland, an ancestral homeland that I have never gotten to see, sigh...Still, I loved the European feel of Charlottetown (never been to Europe either, so I take what I can get), and St. Dunstan's Cathedral is one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen. I also enjoyed learning about the original Canadian Confederation at the Province House.

Originally posted by Mud Princess
I found the Maritime Museum more interesting than expected (perhaps because I'm so ignorant of Canadian history, and I learned a lot).
Yes, it was great...the displays about the 1918 Explosion were fascinating...that explosion (of a WWI munitions ship in the harbor) was the most powerful human-caused explosion ever, up until the creation of the a-bomb. It was interesting to explore parts of West Halifax, which was rebuilt after the explosion.

One of my goals is to someday visit Newfoundland (and Ireland and Europe, of course). As to vacation, we already took ours; its going to be a long summer, autumn, winter and spring before we are blessed with some vacation time again.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The 1918 explosion in Halifax was heard in Boston! (AFAIK) and Bostonians were the first ones to arrive to aid in Halifax...

The power of gun powder is amazing, and quite destructive if stocked in high quantities, like in the ship that caused the Halifax explosion...

Jen

Cyburbian
sandy bottoms

Going AGAIN to Fernandina Beach, a roomy townhome at the Sandpiper oceanfront near the grand P's. maybe get in a lil kayaking and beach sex with the hubby?!

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Summer Vacation

DecaturHawk said:
Yes, it was great...the displays about the 1918 Explosion were fascinating...
Oops, that explosion was in December, 1917.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Since the city makes us accrue vacation days I don't really have the time to take this year...Saving it for the holidays. Other than flying down to SC over the 4th of July to see the family I don't think I'll get to go away this summer. Although my fiance is pressuring me to take a long weekend and drive her down to Annapolis since she's never been there before. Just the crabcakes are motivation enough for me to take her.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Re: sandy bottoms

Jen said:
Going AGAIN to Fernandina Beach, a roomy townhome at the Sandpiper oceanfront near the grand P's. maybe get in a lil kayaking and beach sex with the hubby?!

Amelia Island is so beautiful. I am really jealous. Hope you have fun. They do have great kayaking in the area. ;)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Wed-Fri I have a conference here . That will almost be like a vacation.

So far, I'm going to Miami for one day and spending six days on Marco Island :(. I know I'll be going to Chicago a few times. Plus Cincinnati for a day and mabey Louisville.