• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Summer Vacation

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I leave in 2 hours for Escanaba Michigan. (a friend is getting married on the 21st and I wanted to visit other people too)

During this trip, I will see, York PA, Kalamazoo MI, Alpena MI, Traverse City MI, St. Ignace MI, Newberry MI, Marquette MI, and allot of time in Escanaba.

It is going to be odd going to a city that is under 20,000 people, and more land area than where I live.

I am not looking forward to coming back knowing that I will have a pile of stuff on my desk.

SGB

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I am not looking forward to coming back knowing that I will have a pile of stuff on my desk.

You can always avoid this problem by having your office forward work materials to you while you're gone. Don't forget to:

1) bring the office laptop
2) give them your cell phone number or other numbers they can reach you at along the way
3) hit up the office petty cash drawer so you have funds to mail finished materials back

I hope this helps!

:p

H

Cyburbian
SGB said:
You can always avoid this problem by having your office forward work materials to you while you're gone. Don't forget to:

1) bring the office laptop
2) give them your cell phone number or other numbers they can reach you at along the way
3) hit up the office petty cash drawer so you have funds to mail finished materials back

I hope this helps!

:p

?? Does not sound like much of a vacation! I don’t even take my cell phone to lunch.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
Have a safe and long ass trip ;)

Thank you,

As for the lap top thing, only management gets lap tops, and I do not want to do anything other than visit with friends and family... OH and go to bars and see people I have not seen in 6 years and watch the confusion on their face when I say I am a city planner.

SGB

Cyburbian
Huston said:
?? Does not sound like much of a vacation! I don’t even take my cell phone to lunch.

It was all written in jest, of course.

IMO, anyone who might voluntarily follow such advice has more "issues" than a vacation could possibly solve

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
SGB said:
You can always avoid this problem by having your office forward work materials to you while you're gone.

I used to try and do that with my first job out of school as a consultant. I left a fax #, e-mail, telephone, you name it with the office but the secretary was to lazy to bother and so everytime I went out of town I would get reemded by my boss for letting the work pile-up. Man am I glad to no longer be working in a planning sweatshop.

Enjoy your trip Mike

H

Cyburbian
SGB said:
It was all written in jest, of course.

IMO, anyone who might actually follow such advice has more "issues" than a vacation could possibly solve.

Oh, its hard to tell sometimes on written forums.

I'm relieved for you. :)

SGB

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
OH and go to bars and see people I have not seen in 6 years and watch the confusion on their face when I say I am a city planner.

For a popular culture reference, you could always refer to that Seinfeld episode.

donk

Cyburbian
When I had to go to a funeral, for a week, I called in periodically to take care of business.

I'd rather deal with a few small items a day then come back and take 2 weeks to catch up.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You know, I have never seen that one. I have heard about it many times. Does any one have a copy of it on tape?

I will try to get (or make) and e-post card to send the beautiful Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I always take my cell phone...

A minor problem can often be resolved while I'm away, and avert a MAJOR headache when I get back... my secretary usually can tell the difference.

bocian

Cyburbian
Hi you all, wow - vacation - I just finished my Land Use Planning Law Class 2 days ago - It's time to hit the road, on a bicycle, of course on the bicycle, .. This year, something short, but special.. Nerudite, I will be going to Nova Scotia as well, right after the 4th of July.. - is that a place to be all of a sudden or what - I heard Halifax is beautiful, and there are little fishing villages scattered all over the coast and small family-owned grocery stores everywhere in Nova Scotia, not the big box crap like in the US. Anyway, it will be a 1-week bike trip on the coast of Nova Scotia, with a bunch of my old friends from Boston (I used to live there for 7 years). So, we'll be starting off in Beantown, we will be taking the commuter train (new service, I hear!) to Portland, Maine. Then a ferry to Yartmouth, Nova Scotia (If I had time and my way, I'd ride along the Maine Coast up north instead, oh, well...). Then biking up north to Halifax.
If I have time, and finances get better soon, I'd like to go back to Poland/Ukraine/Slovakian Carpathian mountains to hike just as I did last year. I fall in love with those mountains each time I'm there. Truly amazing corner of the world!!!

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
Bocian,

If you are in halifax on the 6-9 July, you might want to check out the Canadian Insitute of Planner's annual conference.

There are student rates and 1 day rates.

bocian

Cyburbian
Yes, I was already thinking about making it to the Conference... I'm very excited about going - I hear from people everywhere that Nova Scotia is stunning...

donk

Cyburbian
A few of us may be getting together for drinks one night of the conference. Visit the Halifax Public library and use a terminal to access the site.

I'll try to post our plans OR PM me for more info before you leave.