• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Summertime in Cheektowaga!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Hey der ... da weather here in Cheekatavaga der is getting warm der, so Joanne tell me I got to put a freshcoat uh paint der on da creche der, and set up the screen on da garagedoor der, like all da other folks der who live off of da Georgeurbanboulevart der. Hopefully I have some time left over to go to da lawn fete over at Our Most Holy Blessed Precious Blood of da Seventeen Martyred Saints of Silesia der, and get some of dat der Chiavetta chicken der. Tankgot I got a fridge in da garage der, so I not have to walk into the kitchen der for my Gennycream.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
You don't see too many of those around here. I kind of like it. Looks better than a garage door facing the street. It has become tradition that my cousins and I drink beer in the garage at my annual family reunion ...I may have to suggest a screen door to my aunt and uncle.

nerudite

Cyburbian
There were a few screened in garages in the Sherman Oaks area when I was growing up. It used to make for great rollerskating when the weather sucked (which wasn't too often). But it also made for a cool place to sit when it was 110 degrees. Hint: do not put basketball hoops next to the screen door... only took our neighbour three screen replacements to figure that one out.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Oh, yah. I like dem Cheektowagians der. Dey really know how to make a house look good, aina? None a dem garages in front. But where are ya gonna put da car, for crimonysakes?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
They're overcompensating...

...for a lack of front porches.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
el Guapo said:
I think it is a great adaptation to the situation. Go Cheeky Bastards Go!
The situation, by the way? No air conditioning! Not many houses in Buffalo have central air, and during the summer daytime and nighttime temperatures are about the same. There's few days when the temperature reaches a point where you need AC. Garages are cool, with concrete floors and few windows.

Thing is ... you really don't see it in white collar areas, even where folks don't have A/C.