• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Grad / masters SUNY Buffalo, Rutgers, and Temple University - masters program

vertigolamb

Does anyone currently or have recently attended SUNY Buffalo, Rutgers, or Temple University for their graduate planning program? What are your thoughts?

A bit about myself:
- BA in psychology with 3.4 GPA
- Worked as a program assistant for LGBTQ nonprofit for three years
- Planned and implemented placemaking projects in the community with a public art group for two years
- Music event planning and marketing for three years
- Interests in community development: creative placemaking, tactical urbanism, environmental psychology, mitigating food waste
- Looking into a more practice-based program. I've heard that TempleU and Rutgers offer good funding for their students?
- I cannot afford expensive schools like UPenn, Pratt, UMich, etc. (I do not want to be in a hefty debt)
- Hoping to work for "placelab" orgs that focus community engaging placemaking projects in public spaces

Are there other schools I should look into?

Thank you!

Last edited:

orangeee

Did you end up moving forward with a masters program? If so, I'm curious as to which school you chose!

glutton

Cyburbian
Since you mentioned placemaking, I'd also look into Ball State University and University of Cincinnati! Both are urban design based programs that either are super affordable or that give great financial aid.