• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Support our Troops - what does it mean?

el Guapo

Capitalist
From another board I frequent came this question:
Support Our Troops
What, exactly, is meant by "supporting our troops" or "support our troops"?

I think it is important that these expressions be defined with precision. Failing that, doesn't it just mean agree with any policy adopted by the Commander in Chief who sent the "troops" to risk their lives?

What is, and is not, "supporting the troops" and if someone objects to their dying in immoral or anti-republican wars does that mean they don't "support the troops?"

I fear that these demands to "support our troops" is a statement that assumes facts not in evidence; a sort of code for "you are unpatriotic and want to see our brave men and women die" because by wanting the troops safely at home, when in fact it might mean just the opposite.

So that I, with my archaic limitations and legalistic instincts for precise use of language can more clearly understand what it means to "support our troops" I hope that someone will clarify for an aging patriot (but not a military veteran) what it means to "support our troops."

TJ
TJ, I'm glad you asked. What “Supporting the Troops" means to me:

To encourage our elected officials to encourage the DOD to actively look for clues and interrogate Iraqi POWs about the fate of Scott Speicer. Scott is a POW from the first Gulf War. Thanks Senator Pat Roberts.

To argue the merits of this war in a civil manner. Not to be pissly little children happy you are taking a day off from school and are the center of attention. It means to make meaningful dialog and protest to your elected officials.

It means understanding the troops fight for your right to protest the war. It doesn’t mean forcing a “you're for the war or you are not patriotic” label on anyone. Plenty of Veterans are against this war. Not all, but some. Ask them why and their answers may surprise you.

It means not watching the war the way you watch NASCAR, hoping for a wreck. This is not on television so you can enjoy a cool firefight or learn some MOUNT tips for the next time you play Quake 3. You are seeing much of it live on television so that you may understand the total love for you and your country that someone must have to go willingly into that hell for your freedom.

It means to forgive honest mistakes when members of the armed forces mess something up. Mixing young men, adrenaline, sleep deprivation, fear and explosives is an accident waiting to happen. The fact that there are so few friendly fire incidents is a testament to their professionalism.

To keep Katie Couric off the lawn of the family members of each new American GI killed in combat. In addition, to shoot her square in the head when she asks the pregnant 23-year-old wife of a newly dead Marine how she feels about President Bush’s decision to use force against Iraq.

To support the Vets long after the war is over when they start dieing from Agent Orange, Gulf War Syndrome or Chemical Agent exposure, which may happen in this war. It means not making some PFC who was gassed and is now disabled take five years to prove his disability is “service related” to a panel of heartless statisticians.

It means to learn your flag etiquette and to teach it your children.

It means when you see an old fart trailing piss through a leak in his leg bag hooked up to a super pub catheter; know that maybe he is not some old doddering idiot letting piss run on the floor in Wal-Mart, but that he may be what is left of a young man that almost gave everything for his country.

It means taking a moment or two every day to give some small thanks to those that provided your freedom to you throughout history by giving their all.

It means taking a moment and explaining to your children why they should have an extra measure of respect for those that choose to serve.

Finally, it means finding a family that lost a husband and a father in this war near you. Without seeking favorable press or a thank you card send them whatever amount of money or good wishes you can afford to give so that they may know that their sacrifice is acknowledged. Your donation may help that Army PFC killed in action’s family send a kid to college or make life otherwise a little more bearable.

Cyburbians, what does it mean to you?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Thanks Guap,

for me its writting to the troops damn near every day-letting them know they are not forgotten. its calling my dad and thanking him, its thanking vets i see out and about etc.

I dont watch much news and for the life of me would love to know how to compaine to AOL about their coverage of the POWs and showing vids/pics from the Iraqi thugs of our boys-thats just like printing the name and pic of a rape victim in my mind.

Its crying and getting madder than hell when I see someone mistreat a vet who is protesting the war.

I detest this war and Bush but I am 100% behind our guys

Seabishop

Cyburbian
For one it means not yelling "baby killer" at them when they come home like people did in Vietnam.

Even if you don't support the war, appreciate the fact that we have a volunteer army defending our country - those people are volunteering and you're not.

I think you can disagree with the decision to go to war but still support the troops and appreciate what they're doing.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Ditto to all of the above. I haven't been glued to the news at all, but seeing those American POWs (especially the female) on Iraqui TV just hit me really hard. It's a terrible thing to see so much fear in someone's eyes.

BKM

Cyburbian
I think you've summed it up pretty well, Guap. The point about meaningful protest particularly hits home. What is the value of draping a "We love Saddaam" banner from a rush hour freeway interchange. And, black blockers. We couldn't give a $%%^#% how "angry" you are.

(That doesn't mean I've gone pro-war. I think many of the anti arguments are frighteningly beginning to come true: violent mass protests against "friendly" governments, urban guerilla warfare)

Still, I hope they are all wrong.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Very good, EG.

Burning flags and stiking police officers is not any way to protest the war, much less support the troops. It is an insult to ALL Americans and only undermines any credibility you may have.

This is neither an immoral nor an unjustified war (if I still do not believe it is a wise policy move). Stop the double-speak of saying the war is immoral but the troops carrying out the policy are not. The troops know that following orders is no excuse for committing criminal acts. Don't tell them otherwise. They won't believe you. Open your eyes and see what the Iraqi regime has done and will continue to do. This IS justified.

The Irish One

To keep Katie Couric off the lawn of the family members of each new American GI killed in combat. In addition, to shoot her square in the head when she asks the pregnant 23-year-old wife of a newly dead Marine how she feels about President Bush’s decision to use force against Iraq.
Last night a coworker was telling me how the father of a soldier who died was yelling at bush saying you took my only son, or something to that extent. Well she just couldn't get over what an a**hole this guy was and how he disgraced his sons name and made his family look bad. My jaw dropped, a father just lost his boy, the media is on his driveway and yes they catch him when he's upset, hurt, emotional and he says some things out of anger, more than anger -he lost his son. I just had to make the point that he was entitled to say whatever he wanted with or without a camera present, when people die things are said, a lot of times you don't mean what you say, you're just getting things out. I just couldn't believe her dismissal of media slime, and her persecution of a man and his family suffering the greatest loss, a child. She was just out of line in my opinon.

prudence

Cyburbian
Any others??

Planderella said:
Here's another way we can support our troops. :)
What are some of the other groups that are organizing donations for soldiers abroad. I'd appreciate any listings...I am certain we all would.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
TexasPlanner said:
I've heard we're not actually allowed to send soldiers letters anymore, because of the risks of bio-terrorism, unless you're directly related to the soldier. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Are students not able to "adopt" a soldier anymore?
My BIL has been sending and receiving letters while in Kuwait. My MIL just got a letter from him last week. Letters and care packages no bigger than a shoe box are OK to send to him.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Two thoughts: In Planning, we have it drummed into our heads that even if we disagree with the policy our Board takes, once it votes to go that way, we support it (unless it's grossly unethical). The war is the same thing. You don't agree, but it's happening, support the American troops.

Second, we don't shoot Katie Couric. Talk about wanting to be a martyr, we can protest in better ways. Let the networks know that this kind of reporting sucks and is unacceptable.

The Irish One says "he lost his son. I just had to make the point that he was entitled to say whatever he wanted with or without a camera present, when people die things are said, a lot of times you don't mean what you say, you're just getting things out. I just couldn't believe her dismissal of media slime, and her persecution of a man and his family suffering the greatest loss, a child. She was just out of line in my opinon."

I don't think the father was saying things he didn't mean to say. I think he said exactly what he felt and who would feel different? You can put on the face that you're proud of their sacrifice but you're still devastated. In America we can show all viewpoints.

Enuf said.

The Irish One

I don't think the father was saying things he didn't mean to say. I think he said exactly what he felt and who would feel different? You can put on the face that you're proud of their sacrifice but you're still devastated. In America we can show all viewpoints.
well I don't know that, but I totally agree and that was basically my point to the poor ignoramous.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Zoning Goddess said:
...Second, we don't shoot Katie Couric...
Not even a warning shot? Pretty Please??? What if I just nicked her a little on the ear? ;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:

Not even a warning shot? Pretty Please??? What if I just nicked her a little on the ear? ;)
Just enough to scare some of the perkiness out of her.

boiker

Cyburbian
the war and support

I am against this war. I feel that the troops are not being used the way they should be. The military is the department of defense, not offense.

I don't want to go into the reasons I'm against the war, (it's a long list) but I do support the troops, I have a brother in law in the army, I support every effort that encourages bringing them back home to defend America and to end this war.

I can't see the defense this war is providing. Could someone please explain it to me?

Asking for honest conversation, I'm trying not to make this comment sound irrational, or aggressive.

label me a pacifist, label me un-american, label me a terrorist. It's just how the facts have come to me and how I interpret them.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: the war and support

boiker said:
I am against this war. I feel that the troops are not being used the way they should be. I
I agree, I think we need a hell of alot more than what we have right now. I don't feel good about going into Baghdad in the urban environment. We never been successful (without taking huge casualties) on this terrain.

The military is the department of defense, not offense.

Any good rifleman will tell you the best defense is a damn good offense...

And they best way to repel an assault is to rush it and attack it head on (and get another fire team to flank them and cut them to pieces as they're retreating).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: the war and support

Mike D. said:
I agree, I think we need a hell of alot more than what we have right now. I don't feel good about going into Baghdad in the urban environment. We never been successful (without taking huge casualties) on this terrain.
Mike, they just ordered another 120,000 troops to the gulf. I will never doubt your wisdom again. At least not till next Thursday.