• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Survey...who controls your ZEO?

Our Town has a combined Planning & Zoning Commission.
The State Statutes and Zoning Regulations grant the commission sole power in deciding who enforces the regulations and how.

The current structure has the Zoning Compliance Officer acknowledging the commissions concerns and "enforces" the regulations....however, he is supervised/directed by the First Selectman. The Town Planner is directed by the P&Z commission and is involved with the day to day activities of applications, etc. The ZEO takes day to day orders from the First Selectman (besides his implied duty to enforce the regulations), and therefore is distanced from the PZC and Town Planner in regards to prioritizing etc.

Pending review of Union issues, etc., we are considering restructuring to have the ZEO directed by the Town Planner (or a more direct line with the PZC). I'm curious how other towns handle things.

SGB

Cyburbian
Tell us more about the responsibilities of the ZEO, please.

Does that position do zoning administration only, or are there other local and state code adminstrative responsibilities as well?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
At various times over the years we have had a stand-alone zoning officer who reported directly to the PC/BZA; a dual building commissioner/zo that loosely responded to the PC/BZA; and, no zo (PC/BZA staff administering compliance on an "as needed" basis). This last is our current condition and it does not work well at all.

As SGB wrote, a little more detail is probably required, but in a *perfect world* the zo should be directed by and reporting to the planning director in order to keep *big p* politics out of the equation as much as practicable.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Every place I've been the zoning enforcement officer reported to the planning director.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Where I work, and in most NH towns....the Building Inspector is the Zoning Administrator (for ordinance interpretation, enforcement, etc.). We have a seperate Zoning Enforcement Officer (a retired police officer, 4 days a week) that reports to the Building Inspector.

Funny though....when there's a question about ordinance interpretation, 90% of the time the Building Inspector will come to me for the interpretation. ;-)

NHPlanner said:
Where I work, and in most NH towns....the Building Inspector is the Zoning Administrator (for ordinance interpretation, enforcement, etc.).

Our Building Department also administrates our Zoning Ordinance. Inspectors also serve as enforcement officers.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
In New Orleans (Orleans Parish), the Exec. Director of the CPC answers to the CPC, which ultimately answers to the City Council. The CPC is only an advisory board to the CC, which can overrule any any zoning/land use/text amendment decisions made by the CPC. The Dept. of Safety and Permits is charged with the task of enforcing zoning, land use, and subdivision regulations. Furthermore, the BZA has the authority to grant waiver requests of zoning and subdivision regulations.

SGB said:
Tell us more about the responsibilities of the ZEO, please.

Does that position do zoning administration only, or are there other local and state code adminstrative responsibilities as well?

Our ZEO enforces the zoning regulations (I believe however that his procedure is to wait for complaints that have been directed to the First Selectman of violations of the regulations). The Commission brings up issues that we see and he usually follows up on checking into them (slowly, and not necesarily "surely"). He also is responsible to see that the site plans etc that we approve are constructed accordingly and with the conditions we put forth.

Outside of zoning enforcement, his other duties are enforcing wetland regulations, processing zoning approval requests, answering public questions in person at the counter or on the phone, and any assignments from the First Selectman.