• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Sushi Anyone

Sushi??

• Yay

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

Jeff

Cyburbian
If I could eat only one thing for the rest of my life it would be sushi....MMMMMMMMM Sushi...

Yellowtail, Octopus, Freshwater Eel, Tuna, Spicy Tuna....

*Doing the Homer drool thing*

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I have enough problems with cooked fish...let alone raw fish....no thanks. :)

Tom R

Cyburbian
bait

Sushi is too much like bait.....
No, It IS bait. Feed it to the carp.

ok, i like the california rolls, and maybe if they have some crab in them. and the seaweed soup? fine. but i have enough problems with cooked fish, let alone cooked not so much. So nay for me.

GeekyBoy

Cyburbian
Yum!

All for it, but unfortunately I am allergic to seafood, so I am reduced to the vegetarian varieties (kappa maki, etc)

Bummer.

GB

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
In Milwaukee its hard to get "fresh" sushi. Had it once and it was all good until the octopi. The little suckers just grossed me out as they slid down my throat.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The suckers on the Octopus are the best!! Kel, I thought for sure you'd be a susher eater. You just strike me as the type.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mmmmmmmmm!

I love the stuff. We have a favorite palce in Eugene called Shoji's that has outstanding portions and good prices. But has anyone been to a Todai?

They have "all you can eat" sushi! I've never seen a place quite like it.... whenever I'm in Portland, I plunk down the $25 and oink out!

http://www.todai.com

Glomer

MM MMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

There is a wonderful sushi place somewhere near fenway park in boston.........I've been to Boston twice, went there both times.......and if I ever get back it will be the first place I go.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Oh yeah, SUSHI! I do stay away from some of the bolder versions.. just thinking about octopi suckers grosses me out, but I do love the other types. We've got a few good places out here, the all you can eat type Mastiff was talking about.. YUM! So many are $20 all you can eat.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
TexasPlanner said:
Oh yeah, SUSHI! I do stay away from some of the bolder versions.. just thinking about octopi suckers grosses me out, but I do love the other types. We've got a few good places out here, the all you can eat type Mastiff was talking about.. YUM! So many are $20 all you can eat.
$20 all you can eat? Dang! Last time I ate sushi the tab ran about $70 a person.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Yup, $20.. or maybe it was $30, regardless, Tuesdays and Wednesdays there are a ton of specials. We should check Denver out before April and go eat sushi-

Mike DeVuono said:
The suckers on the Octopus are the best!! Kel, I thought for sure you'd be a susher eater. You just strike me as the type.
Thanks, Mike, I think? Pretty much I'll try anything once, but just the thought of cold fish sitting on my toungue. Blargh.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Asahi, Courthouse Plaza, Arlington, VA

MMMMMMM. Fresh, fresh, fresh, and a quite reasonably priced lunch buffet. Watch them make it as fast as you can eat it!!!

Jeff

Cyburbian
bturk said:

$20 all you can eat? Dang! Last time I ate sushi the tab ran about $70 a person.
There are quite a few all you can eat places for $20 in Philly, but for the most part you are getting a huge ball of rice with a little piece of fish.

My new pig out...a restaurant in our neighborhood sells part platters of 55 pieces for $59.00....MMMMMM

Alot of the supermarkets around here have sushi chefs on the premises now, and you can also get huge platters for half the price of going out.

Some of my other faves....seaweed salad (not soup Kel), Dragon Rolls, Rainbow Rolls, Sea Urchin, Spict Tuna and Spicy Yellowtail handrolls,

*Doing the Homer drool thing again*

My wife is pregnant now, so we can't go out for sushi. I'm jonesing for it so bad....

Mike DeVuono said:

My wife is pregnant now, so we can't go out for sushi. I'm jonesing for it so bad....
Congratulations! But sorry about your sushi cravings - you could always have it for a work week lunch.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: bait

Tom R said:
I'm going fishing hext week. Send me your leftovers.
I hear ya, Tom. Fresh bass, bluegill and perch dipped in batter and fried up in a cast iron skillet. Now that's the way to eat a fish.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Re: bait

Michael Stumpf said:

Or, it could be trout just yanked out of a stream.

I hear ya, Tom. Fresh bass, bluegill and perch dipped in batter and fried up in a cast iron skillet. Now that's the way to eat a fish.

Jen

Cyburbian
I've never tried sushi! There is a place in Kalamazoo that folks always raved about but the hubby has a sensitive gut so we never went. Why he ordered seafood soup on trip to Hong Kong I'll never know. His stomach gave a lurch when he saw eyeballs floating in his bowl! He ended up extremely ill for two days. Though he was a trooper regarding the chicken feet and sucked on 'em just like his hosts.
LOL

Me, If it is attractively presented and smells good I'll try it, Just don't tell me what it is!!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
bturk said:

I went out with 2 other people once... and we ran up a bill over $400. Now, we had a little saki, too.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Yay... a topic for me! I love sushi and sashimi. I'll eat most any type (at least once), but I love yellowtail, red snapper, tuna, salmon, octopus, etc. I also can handle california rolls if I just need a wasabi fix and I'm not feeling too picky. Up here in Alberta they put mayonaise in their california rolls... it kind of grosses me out.

If you guys do a sushi get together in Denver... hmmmm... more incentive to go to Denver for me! :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Up here in Alberta they put mayonaise in their california rolls... it kind of grosses me out.

That's like sacreligious.

May the Almighty Susher gods reign fire upon the weird mayonnaise/sushi eating population of Alberta.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Mmmmmmmmm!

Mastiff said:
But has anyone been to a Todai?

http://www.todai.com
Todai is good for when you have a sushi craving and you just need to oink out. Not high quality stuff, but it's also a fairly cheap meal (sushi wise).

It's hard to take Todai seriously though, because it's logo/mascot thingy looks a little too much like a happy condom.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: Mmmmmmmmm!

nerudite said:

It's hard to take Todai seriously though, because it's logo/mascot thingy looks a little too much like a happy condom.

You mean it isn't?

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
MMMMM, yeah. On Saturday we went to a matinee, then to our favorite sushi place for dinner. I don't really know what "normal" servings are, but the two of us had 3 sashimi (the fish on the rice - is that the right term?) and 4 sushi rolls. I love the yellowtail, and the local place makes an incredible Baltimore Roll with real crab (not that fake-crab stuff in a California roll).

Last year we were visiting my cousin in L.A., and he took us to a great sushi place somewhere in the Valley. The sushi was so beautifully prepared that I took pictures!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Stopped in a Chinese Buffet place in Dubuque on Saturday and they had Sushi. Granted it was sort of fast food like sushi, but in Iowa you cannot be too fussy.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Yuk :-#

prefer my fish grilled or baked
crab cake - lightly breaded & sauteed

michaelskis

Cyburbian
sushi = good food

fish is fish.. cooked or not cooked. I hated the stuff... then I went to chicago for an APA conference... now I love sushi...

good call!!!!

boiker

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
havn't had fried bass before. Good?

sushi, not bad stuff. Havn't had a real restaurant experience with it as of yet however.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Funny thing this thread was brought back to life because after eating lunch yesterday I got this big craving for sushi (what can I say? I eat a lot), and walked a couple of blocks to the nearest sushi bar to pick up some spicy tuna rolls and and yellowtail - my two favorites. Gooooood.....

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I'm a pretty recent sushi convert. I've only been eating it for about 2 years. Not that I didn't like it before, I just never tried it. Now that I have, I'm a sushi monster. I love the stuff.

Despite what nerudite says about Alberta sushi, we found this awesome sushi place just a couple of blocks from our place. The chef there used to work for the Emperor...has articles on the wall about him and everything. He must have good connections, because the fish there is always fresh.

Come to think of it, we're having sushi for dinner tonight. Mmmm, can't wait!

yaff

Cyburbian
Fish and rice... all varieties. Yumm! I Love Sushi, Sashimi, etc...even octopus. Every chance I get!

otterpop

Cyburbian
Sushi. This is bait. What you use to catch bigger fish, which you then pan-fry, bake, poach or deep-fry.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I just can't understand the whole sushi thing. If I am going to have seafood I prefer just some shrimp or crab legs, or a good fish, or just a can of t-- er, never mind.

Sushi just doesn't look right, somehow.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Yummmm, sushi. Haven't branched out much yet to try different things, mostly because the place I always go to has incredible mackeral rolls.
By the way, has anyone tried the sushi from supermarkets? Not the California rolls or the inari, that's cooked, but the "real" sushi? Sometimes it looks really good, but I'm dubious.... B-)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Plannerbabs said:
By the way, has anyone tried the sushi from supermarkets? Not the California rolls or the inari, that's cooked, but the "real" sushi? Sometimes it looks really good, but I'm dubious.... B-)
We have, and it sucks. It tends to be too cold, and dries out because it's typically been sitting there all day.

BKM

Cyburbian
Another "no" on supermarket sushi.

I've not really found any supermarket sushi that's anything above blah. I can eat Trader Joe's for a quick lunch. I'm not even sure its any cheaper, frankly, than the real stuff.

Another interesting angle/question about sushi: racism in the sushi industry. My favorite local sushi chef simply insists that some of the competing restaurants just don't cut it-because they are owned by Koreans or Chinese ethnicity. Pretty bizarre conversation :-\ .

BKM

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Great, for some reason I have a sudden urge for calimari :p
Calimari is one sushi item I just don't like. Too tough and chewy. Same with the giant clams I've tried. Scallops I dislike for the opposite reason-fish foam is not very appealing.

My favorite is still spicy tuna roll. I also love hamachi, albacore tuna (when available), tako (octopus-somehow that chewiness doesn't bother me).

ludes98

Cyburbian
I was a hater until gave in and tried it in high school. Now I would eat once a week, but usually eat it about once a month. MMM Maguro. ( Sorry Rumpy.)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Who else thinks it's a good idea to have a Cyburbia dinner party with Rumpy as the guest of honor?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Who else thinks it's a good idea to have a Cyburbia dinner party with Rumpy as the guest of honor?
As long as these are the appetizers.

OT: I've been thinking that maybe there should be a Rust-belt area Ale-Fest one of these days in some city ^o)

Dragon

Cyburbian
I never tried sushi until I went to South Florida one summer break from college. Now I crave the stuff, and hit up the local Japanese restaurant often.

Jen

Cyburbian
Glad to say I have recently tried sushi for the first time, YUM! it was a 'thunder roll' at the Bonita Grill In Fernandina Beach. It had delightful crunchy cucumber green roe on top, and I felt like a judge on Iron Chef when I nabbed a whole piece with chopstix, dunkedit in wasabi and soy and shoved the entire morsel in my mouth while nodding joyfully. I ate seafood that entire weekend, it was such a downer to come backhome and have the hubby offer freezer chikkie nuggies for dinner. The smelt basket at the Grattan Bar was my only consolation!