• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it away, sell it, or spam you), or through Facebook or a Microsoft ID. Google and Twitter coming soon. 🙂

Suspensions and bannings discussion

SGB

Cyburbian
An offering to Our Great Leader

I just stumbled upon this GIF. May come in handy in a future banning.

Last edited:

Veloise

Cyburbian
A question

When someone gets zapped with the banhammer, does that preclude all future access to Cyburbia? I am wondering if the subjects of the ban postings get to view and enjoy their stardom.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
When someone gets zapped with the banhammer, does that preclude all future access to Cyburbia? I am wondering if the subjects of the ban postings get to view and enjoy their stardom.
They can still visit the site and see all the threads and posts that unregistered visitors can see, but of course they can't post, send private messages, or do any other fun things. A message explaining why they were banned will be displayed above the page header. Despite this, some still try to post messages; they'll see an error message if they click on the "Reply" or "New thread" buttons.

We announce the bannings because:

1) It's fun.
2) We want other Cyburbians to know what we're doing to keep the site free of spam.
3) It's a service to other forum operators, many of which investigate new users by searching for their usernames and IP numbers. Cyburbia's ban threads are usually near the top of search results.

Hink

OH....IO
nrschmid I hope that you are kidding, because it is a script that takes whoever is looking at it. Think of the day... and notice that you are still able to post:) Buck up :-D

nrschmid

Cyburbian
Hink, people make jokes at my expense all the time, and I enjoy them as long as they are funny..

Sorry, but I draw the line on this one. It was totally inappropriate, immature, and unprofessional. People pushed my buttons, and I am extremely angry (it takes a lot to get me upset).

I would be very pissed, too. Yeah, you're right it's a joke but if you didn't know it, it could still be offensive if you take this forum seriously.

Last edited:

otterpop

Cyburbian
I thought it was brilliant!

The best April Fools Day gag in a long time. I laughed out loud while I read about my banning and the comments of the others. I chuckled for a while afterwards.

Kudos to Dan for such an imaginative prank.

nrschmid

Cyburbian
Yeah, now that the cat's outta the bag and I gave you guys the link, you can see the computer puts your name into Dan's post, so you know it is a genuine prank.

At the time, I DIDNT know it was a prank and took it seriously and was VERY VERY upset (it takes a lot to get me angry) I almost snapped at a co-worker after reading it, and I almost never do that. I am STILL not cooled down yet.

I can laugh at jokes at my expense as long as they are funny. People take jokes differently, and I thought this was very inappropriate and unprofessional, especially since I personally have had some serious issues recently with at least one person who is now banned permanently from this site. I don't care if this were April Fool's Day or not, it was wrong.:-@

nrschmid

Cyburbian
I am still not laughing. I think it's a sick joke for a forum that takes suspensions and bannings seriously. I e-mailed Dan about this (before I even knew it was a joke) and he still has not responded). My opinion of cyburbia has totally changed today for the worse.

Tresmo

Cyburbian
I don't even know who the mods are...that was lost on me. :-$

Edit: And you got me!!! Heehee...

Last edited: