• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Sustainable Economic Development RFP

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
HELP! Our community is planning to issue a Request for Proposals for consulting services to prepare an Economic Development Strategic Plan. The primary objective is to define the market and gauge demand / absorption rates of a potential business park.

We are a large community (36 sq miles) on the urbanizing fringe of a metro area, and about 1/3 urbanized already. We recently adopted a Conservation Plan. In order to avoid implementation conflicts, I want to introduce Sustainable Development initiatives to the Economic Development Strategic Plan.

I am having some difficulty writing the scope of services, and I have found very few resources... Does anyone have any suggestions??

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'd contact Peter Lowitt, AICP - The chair of APA's Economic Development Division, and Land Use Administrator for the Devens Enterprise Commission in Massachusetts. He was instrumental in developing an Ecological Industrial Park here in Londonderry before he left for Devens. He continues to work on sustainable economic development initiatives at Devens.

His e-mail is peterlowitt@devensec.com

Good Luck!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Minnesota planning has a set of sustainable development model ordinances, including one for economic development. The International Economic Development Council (formerly AEDC) adopted a (weak) smart growth position about a year ago. RMI is a good choice.