• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂
  • If you're returning to Cyburbia, your old password should still work with your username. If you can't remember your password, you can reset it here. If your email changed, or you can't get into your account, follow these instructions.

Taking stock of resources: a lesson in home economics

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I posted about our travails in the Spam thread,

Thing is, in a way I actually kind of enjoy these sorts of events. Reminds me of childhood when the family had to really scramble to make ends meet. The act of taking stock of available resources and formulating plans with the various restrictions imposed requires one to be resourceful and that can be a stimulating exercise ('enjoy' is probably too strong a word) . Unfortunately, the rest of the family doesn't seem to see it that way and insist on treating the situation like it's some kind of misfortune. I wish there were a way I could encourage them to adjust their attitudes accordingly.

How about you, don't you occasionally find situations where you're called upon to summon your resourcefulness kind of mentally invigorating? It would be one thing if this sort of thing is a way of life with no light at the end of the tunnel, but on a temporary basis, it's just not that terrible.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I've done what I've referred to as "pantry fasts" before where I've basically just used what I have available at home to make meals until I use down some of my surplus supplies. I don't LOVE it, but it always feels good to know that the items are not being wasted, and it's amazing how much money I save those months!

Have you ever watched Chopped? I wonder if doing something similar to that might make it more fun. Turn it into a game and have some small stakes prize for the winner. Whoever wins gets to pick the movie to watch that night or something like that.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Have you ever watched Chopped? I wonder if doing something similar to that might make it more fun. Turn it into a game and have some small stakes prize for the winner. Whoever wins gets to pick the movie to watch that night or something like that.
No, what is this Chopped you speak of?

AG74683

Cyburbian
Lately I've really gotten in to watching that show, in addition to Forged in Fire on the History Channel. I know they're both crazy hyped up reality shows, but they each demonstrate interesting learned skills.

I'm also a forged in Fire fan. It's a fun show, plus they make weapons. Back to the topic at hand. No I do not enjoy it. I've had to scramble and starve in the past. It's not fun. I've had to pinch pennies to they screamed. I also grew up in a home where things got tough and worked hard and long to survive. To this day, I can't stand Ramen noodles and Marquez microwavable burritos.

Some years back, I had a similar week-ish. Among other things, we had a large bottle of olive oil and a bunch of flour. We made all kinds of flat bread and varied it by flavoring stuff. We made cheesy flat bread and cinnamon flat bread and plain flat bread. It went well with all kinds of stuff.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Been getting pretty resourceful. Had chana dal (without any naan or other traditional Indian accoutrements) last night. We found some slightly freezer burnt stewing meat and freezer burnt chicken. Maybe make a pot pie from scratch. We have lots of baking supplies and it looks like we're going to run out of bread by tomorrow so it looks like we'll be baking bread this weekend too. That's okay