• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Taking war protests to the next level

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Some Belgians are planning to hold a demonstration
against American invasion and occupation of Europe in 1944 and 1945.. Really.

The demonstration on May 25 is against the US invasion of Europe in 1944-1945, against the presence of US troops in Europe, and to demand the withdrawal of those troops. It is also directed against the American soldiers buried at Margraten: they fought as conquerors, to subject Europe to American values and American interests. They deserve no honour, and certainly no gratitude. They should be reburied in the US.
A joke? Performance art? Drinking too much kreik and lambic? Or ... French squared?

I think that we need more chlorine in the gene pool. There seems to be a massive algae bloom.

The Irish One

Incredibly revisionist! The denial of European liberation is beyond any sane comprehension. There must be Nazi sympathies behind this article and point of view. This is way to fringe extremist.

Tom R

Cyburbian
next

Next will be a demonstration against Atilla the Hun's invasion of eastern Europe.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: next

Tom R said:
Next will be a demonstration against Atilla the Hun's invasion of eastern Europe.
I doubt it, unless Atilla was from the United States.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Next time a genocidal, fascist regime invades Belgium we won't be so politically incorrect as to "invade" them.

Am I missing something? Are American soldiers slaying people on the streets of Belgium? Aren't they a country that's so free that they can stage these types of demonstrations?

We have our lunatic fringe too, so lets hope this is just a very strange minority who is also ridiculed in their own country.

(I hope they'll have paper mache GW Bushes holding bloody axes - those such a positive contribution to international discourse!)

BKM

Cyburbian
Like I always have said, I have little sympathy for European piousness. We are talking about BELGIUM here, whose precious King Leopold inspired "Heart of Darkness" through his amazingly brutal and exploitative treatment of the Congo!

Let alone Germany. Please, aren't they a little embarassed? Twenty years of "green buildings" and Dieter-style dance music still don't make up for World War II and the Holocaust. The German left have still not acknowledged the excesses of the Baader-Meinhoff Gang.

I remain firmly opposed to the Bush administration, and remain very unconvinced about the "right" of this war, but I don't need a French "anarchist" to tell me why.