• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Tasty Local/Regional Foods

pete-rock

Cyburbian
DetroitPlanner said:
Detroit has Coney Island Hot Dogs that are different than the ones sold in New York. These are Kosher Dogs, steamed buns, chili, onions, and mustard.

Vernor's Ginger Ale and Faygo Red Pop are considered staples here along with Coke and Pepsi.

I LOVE Detroit Coneys! What makes it different is the chili -- I haven't had it anywhere but Detroit. Never developed a taste for Vernor's, but I love Faygo Red Pop.

I saw no mention here of Cincinnati-style chili -- three-way, four-way, five-way, etc. Them's some good eats, too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
pete-rock said:
I LOVE Detroit Coneys! What makes it different is the chili -- I haven't had it anywhere but Detroit. Never developed a taste for Vernor's, but I love Faygo Red Pop.

I saw no mention here of Cincinnati-style chili -- three-way, four-way, five-way, etc. Them's some good eats, too.
I love Detroit Coneys too!

Concerning Cincinatti chili we had a Parks employee who had a conference there one year and we made him pick up cans of Gold Star and Skyline chili to bring back here for a taste test comparasin. (Gold Star won handily)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Chicago italian beef is the best...one of the great things about moving to Chicagoland.:)

jmello

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Chicago italian beef is the best...one of the great things about moving to Chicagoland.:)

Do you mean Italian-style roast beef? We have that here too, all over New England.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
jmello said:
You mean coffee milk (made at home with Autocrat syrup). Not a true Ocean Stater, huh? In elementary, middle and high school we had coffee, chocolate and plain milk. My aunt in Florida grabs a bottle of coffee syrup everytime she's up here.

Gasp. . . I'm as Rhode Island as Buddy Cianci drinking Dells lemonade at a Beaver Brown concert. ;) (I did list coffee milk in my original post.)

I'm thinking that coffee milk is a great way to get little kids hooked on coffee - it worked on me. :-|

steel

Cyburbian
Buffalo's got this terriffic chicken marinade called Chavetta's (sp?) That stuff can not be beat.

Also on the Buffalo menu is Bison Brand Chip Dip. Hands down theee best French onion dip you will ever have. Once you have tried this stuff you will never be able to buy any other onion chip dip.

jmello

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Gasp. . . I'm as Rhode Island as Buddy Cianci drinking Dells lemonade at a Beaver Brown concert. ;)

Well, I am as Rhode Island as Don Bosquet talking to James Woods while drinking an Awful Awful with jimmies, eating a stuffy, listening to the Talking Heads, flipping between the latest Farrelly brothers movie and the Family Guy while tanning myself on Scarborough Beach and dreaming of riding the corkscrew at Rocky Point. :)

And it's Del's, not Dells.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
jmello said:
Well, I am as Rhode Island as Don Bosquet talking to James Woods while drinking an Awful Awful with jimmies, eating a stuffy, listening to the Talking Heads, flipping between the latest Farrelly brothers movie and the Family Guy while tanning myself on Scarborough Beach and dreaming of riding the corkscrew at Rocky Point. :)

And it's Del's, not Dells.

AHH -You win! I'll pack my bags and leave in shame by the end of the week. ;)

SW MI Planner said:
We've talked about these before, but PASTIES!

No, not these pasties....
p3002.jpg

*these* pasties.... a pastry filled meat and potato meal. Kind of like a pot pie without the sauce. They are all over the UP, and northern MI (and other upper midwest places, I'm sure). Chad and I make our own, and that is actually what we are having for dinner tonight.

Pasties.jpg

In Nebraska, that's called a Runza. There's even a chain of Runza restaurants. From what I know the Runza is a fast food derivative of a Czech food staple.

Bangorian

Weird Maine / New England foods

Lots of weird stuff still being eaten here that the rest of the world has tried to forget about (I like lots of this stuff by the way):

Ployes - only eaten in "The County" - kinda like pancakes, but only cooked on one side. Generally used in place of bread. Good stuff.

Dilly beans - dilled & pickled stringbeans - actually very good.

Pickled beets, and pickled eggs, for that matter

Fiddleheads (unfurled ferns) - very good sauteed or deep-fried. Tastes a lot like asparagus.

Fishcakes - but only if you eat them for breakfast

Dandilion greens - used like any green, has a bitter taste

Brown Bread - baked in a coffee can. can anybody say "Bean Suppah"?

Whoopee Pies - two small cakes with frosting between them. Come in a variety of flavors, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, pumpkin, etc. I think these things are nasty.

Maple Pepper - black pepper seasoned with maple sugar.

Maple candies - basically hardened maple syrup. Melts in your mouth. Mmmm

Smelts are good if you fry them in beer batter. Kippers are too, if eaten on a good cracker.

Fries are properly eaten with salt & vinegar. The only legitimite flavor for potato chips, too.

Don't forget Coffee Frappes (i.e. shakes).

MOXIE - America's first soda. Flavored with Gentian Root. Good stuff, to be sure.

donk

Cyburbian
MaineMan made me think of a few east coast food staples and specialties

1) Chicken Bones Candy - cinnamon covered chocolate
2) Fried Bologna Sandwich - must be hand cut and atleast 1/4 inch thick
3) mooseburgers
4) Dulse - dry seaweed

That maple sugar pepper sound sgood, I never saw it when I lived in NB, but I do know all about "The County". AKA deliverance north.

BTW, a few of the middle eastern restaurants I've been eating at lately always serve up a platter of pickled beets and other items as an appetizer. Missing home made pickles.

donk

Cyburbian
savemattoon said:
With cole slaw as a condiment.
Is cole slaw a condiment or a side dish?

Nope, straight up with extra margarine or oleo on the wonder bread is the prefered recipe.:victory:

Bangorian

donk said:
but I do know all about "The County". AKA deliverance north.

BTW, a few of the middle eastern restaurants I've been eating at lately always serve up a platter of pickled beets and other items as an appetizer. Missing home made pickles.

Huh, its known as "Gods Country" over here (not that I've been there to say either way). Funny how things can differ on either side of the border. I have a feeling your desciption is more accurate.....

I always got a pickled turnip (more as a garnish than anythnig) at mediterranean restaurants, but have never recieved a beet!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
savemattoon said:
With cole slaw as a condiment.
Is cole slaw a condiment or a side dish?
I would consider it a side salad,
one of my favorite taverns serves it as part of sandwich platter w/fries or chips.

noottamevas

Cyburbian
JNA said:
I would consider it a side salad,
one of my favorite taverns serves it as part of sandwich platter w/fries or chips.
Side salad here too, but I've heard people in Virginia swear on fried bologna sandwich with cole slaw on it. I wondered if it was a regional thing.

zman

Cyburbian
There's this good sub place... oh, what is the name... Quizno's (oh wait. not local anymore):r: and the quality dove down upon nationalization.

Well, there are also a couple good burrito places, Chipotle and QDoba... ahh nevermind... not local any more also. :-|

Oh foods. We had this thing in Denver we called Shedded Wheat... wait a minute...
What about putting cheese on a burger? (done all over now too).

On a serious note:
When I moved north of Denver to the Greeley/Loveland/Ft. Collins area in 2000, I dined on pizza with splotches of creme cheese on top.... mmmmmmmmmmmm TASTY! :p

skyfire

Cyburbian
Side salad here too, but I've heard people in Virginia swear on fried bologna sandwich with cole slaw on it. I wondered if it was a regional thing.

In North Carolina it goes on pork-bbq sandwiches, and the bbq sauce has no tomato in it...

German comfort-food favorites...curry-wurst (big hot-dog with curry sauce on it, roll on the side), nuremberger wurst (finger-size mild white sausage, roll on the side), thuringer wurst (like the nuremberger, but hot-dog sized), frikadellen (sausage/onion/breadcrumb patties), christmas stollen (cakes with raisins and covered with powdered sugar), chocolate covered bananas, candy-coverd roasted almonds, gluhwein (spiced wine at christmas time), spatzelle mit zwiebel und kase (bumpy noodles with melted cheese and caramelized onions), maultaschen (like ravioli but filled with veggies/sausage), bretzels (pretzels)...

This is making me hungry for a trip to a the Weihnactsmarkt (Christmas Market)...the season starts soon...

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear enjoyed reading through this mouth-watering thread. I have enjoyed a few of the items mentioned. I have always liked fries with gravy.....never had anything else on top of that combo, though. Don't care for the fries with vinegar thing.

Rocky Mountain oysters.....no thanx. Chili dogs and Cincy chili and Chicago-style foods......lots of yums in that batch. :p

In my family we always had a Polish soup called czarnina. Not sure of the exact Polish spelling.....it is pronounced "Chod-Nee-Na". It is duck blood soup. I have made it a few times, from my Father's recipe. Very goode!

Another thread gives due respect to paczki's.

Don't forget Hungarian Hot Dogs.....a specialty of Tony Packo's famous restaurant in Toledo. Just ask Klinger (from MASH).

Bear

The Irish One

A cerveza and a hot dog wrapped in bacon freshley toated bun from the street vendor followed up by some fine Mexican dulce pan. I used to love TJ.