• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Tattoo vs permanent makeup as a use

notabigcitygirl

Cyburbian
My City has separated permanent makeup uses, which are typically lumped together with personal services, from tattoo business uses. This gives permanent makeup a more broad application throughout the City's zoning districts, while tattoo uses are restricted to only four zoning districts. The City's tattoo use definition states that tattooing is the primary service, while permanent makeup is not specifically described in the personal services definition but City policy has been to allow it as an ancillary service included with the many other services offered in a spa or hair salon type business. At issue is that I have received a business license application for a business that ONLY provides a permanent makeup service in a zoning district that allows personal services but not tattoo shops.

Question: How are these uses defined in your cities?

Reactions: Dan

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow - I hadn't thought of it

are they licensed the same at the state level? if they are one and the same, then you could make an argument that they are the same as a tattoo place

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Forgive my ignorance, but what is permanent makeup? And how on earth does it differ from a tattoo business in terms of land use impacts?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
And how on earth does it differ from a tattoo business in terms of land use impacts?
And why is tattoo or permanent make up even considered actual distinct land uses. I know why....social fear being regulated through zoning...but in my experience zoning is a poor tool for this.

We don't define tattoo or permanent makeup as distinct land uses. These services are lumped into "personal and professional services" land use with banks, salons, etc.

notabigcitygirl - just approve the bus license under salon and be done with it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
And why is tattoo or permanent make up even considered actual distinct land uses. I know why....social fear being regulated through zoning...but in my experience zoning is a poor tool for this.
Let's be honest, this is what really lies at the heart of matter.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Let's be honest, this is what really lies at the heart of matter.
It's similar to what I dealt with early in my career with massage services.

Such services became a social concern due to their elevated causality with illegal sexual services, so to try to regulate out the illegal sexual services we had to create major hoops in the zoning code to deal with something that should have just been dealt with by the police and also unnecessarily hampered legitimate medically justified massage services.

Same for video arcades in the early 1980s as my first career mentor explained to me at the very beginning of my career.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We don't define tattoo or permanent makeup as distinct land uses. These services are lumped into "personal and professional services" land use with banks, salons, etc.
The way I've heard it officially explained away is they're different because of hours of operation. You know, all those degenerates and weirdos customers tend to use their services after stumbling in from the bar or rave they attended during the late evening hours.

notabigcitygirl

Cyburbian
wow - I hadn't thought of it

are they licensed the same at the state level? if they are one and the same, then you could make an argument that they are the same as a tattoo place
Yes, the County health authority makes no distinction between the two practices, and refers to its licensing as the "Invasive Body Decoration Program". It covers any inking, piercing, and microblading.

Last edited:

notabigcitygirl

Cyburbian
Forgive my ignorance, but what is permanent makeup? And how on earth does it differ from a tattoo business in terms of land use impacts?
Permanent makeup is the application of permanent inks under the top layers of the dermis, typically as eyeliner or for eyebrows. The uses are different than tattoo, mainly because of permanent makeup is typically performed in a spa or salon, while tattoo uses are stand-alone with later hours of operation.

As of yesterday, it seems our governing body may agree with you. They have directed staff to research and propose other zoning districts where tattoo uses may be allowed. And I will approve the business license, because it is an ancillary use to the salon.

As of yesterday, it seems our governing body may agree with you. They have directed staff to research and propose other zoning districts where tattoo uses may be allowed. And I will approve the business license, because it is an ancillary use to the salon.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
So mendelman, are you considering undergoing any corporeal pigment injection procedures?
Negative.

But I was sitting in the public library down on Thurman St, when I suddenly came over all peckish...esurient...hungry.